Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

headless setup! help needed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eric Sherlock, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Eric Sherlock

Eric Sherlock

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario
    I just got the body of a headless 4 string bass. It has a bridge, but no pickups or any electronics at all. I want to know where i need to start to set this bass up cuz i want it to enter my roatation. Any one with advice please help!

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Won't you need a neck first? And tuners...

Then you can worry about passive or active electronics, ditto pups, etc.

Are there any routings for electro and pups?

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Ditto Suburban's questions, and also, what bass is the body originally off? Can you get a neck either replacement part, secondhand or are you going to have to have one made?

4. Eric Sherlock

Eric Sherlock

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario
    SORRY!
    one thing i forgot to include was that there IS a neck

5. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    But what model/brand were the neck/body originally used in?

6. Eric Sherlock

Eric Sherlock

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario
    it's a steinberger, there was once electronics in it, it was my friends but he sold those and it has been laying around in his house 4 a while so i asked him and he gave it to me......im new to the whole concept of electronics, but i have been playing for almost 5 years so don't think im an idiot or anything......

7. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    If you have the body and hardware you're 90% there. Is it a carbon neck, or wooden neck Spirit? Which body style?

The pickup routs will likely be EMG35 sized so that opens up a number of possibilities depending on the sort of tone you're looking for. EMGs and Villex would be the easiest fit as they come with all the passive controls. In the -35 size with EMG, you can get J's, P's, DC's, CS's, TW's (J+CS switchable) and HB-SS (original graphite Steinberger spec - to special order). Passive HZs are available too if you want to do it on a budget.
    Other manufacturers with products in that size are Bartolini, Status, (old) Dimarzio, Villex, Rio Grande + others too probably.
    You just need to decide what pickups you want and whether you want a preamp and to work out which one's will fit.

www.steinbergerworld.com has lots of info on the original US graphite models that also (generally) translates to the Spirits.

8. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    www.musicyo.com has some parts for Steinbergers. Doesn't look like they've got any headpieces right now, though.

www.allparts.com carries a lot of stuff from ABM for headless basses. It's not exactly the same as original Steinberger parts, but you may be able to make something work.

9. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Hey!! I had no idea. Thanks for the links, I'm a long-time Steinberger user and I never new there was a website all about my baby, or that Bartolini made pups in that size!

10. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    So, you have a neck (with headpiece, I assume), a body with hardware, but no electronics.

Dharma have given the necessaries re. pups. Now you just need to decide on a preamp. Original Steinies had active pups but passive circuit downstream. And if your electronics skills and experience is little, you should go for passives, for a start.
    Vol, tone and an on-off will be great (the on-off is an overlooked feature, that allows you to preserve the vol setting, even though you need to shut the instrument up for a moment).

11. Eric Sherlock

Eric Sherlock

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario
    i lost intrest in this project so i sold the thing...thanks for the advice though