Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Headless with conventional tuners?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Monkey, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I've been thinking lately of building a headless bass with conventional tuners at the body end. Steinberger tuners are so expensive, and I have a bunch of regular tuners around. Is this a dumb idea?

The only one built like that that I can think of is the Kramer Duke. I'd love to hear some opinions and ideas on a design.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  3. I was considering a similiar idea a while ago but having discussed it with a friend of mine who had played an instrument in the past (sorry i don't remmember what) that there was a problem with knocking the tuners whilst playing enthusiastically. In my opinion it should be possible, but some thought needs to go into the exact arrangement so that it does not become annoying to play.
    Let us know how you get on, i would like to see the results.
    Regards,
    H.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Makes sense. The Aria tuners are mounted at about a 45 degree angle to square, which keeps the buttons out of the way.

5. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Thanks for the picture, HeavyDuty. That is close to what I was thinking. I've wondered whether the tuners would be too exposed and subject to bumping when I'm bumping. This Novax bass is interesting, too.

6. ThunderPig

ThunderPig Guest

Dec 15, 2002
    Oakland California
    It's easy. Look at the way a BC Rich "BICH" has it's body tuners mounted. Route a rabbet in the body from the rear so that about 13mm or so remains from the front. I did it with Schaller M4's. No problem.

7. There's also this old Warwick solution:
    [​IMG]
    Looks less than ideal to me, though.