Headphone Amp and Studio Monitors

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    A7AE6230-12A4-4C2C-B84C-11040071CB1B.jpeg CB483CE7-1B98-440B-A917-3A72BC11D74B.jpeg

I have not had a little headphone amp for travel in a while. I bought this Vox plug in headphone amp and some sub $20 Behringer Studio monitors. It sounds great! That Vox rips, and it has a nice drum machine too! The Behringers sound good. My V7 sound great active and passive. I would my V7 would be great going through the board for a recording.

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  2. CallMeAl

CallMeAl Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I love my vox amplug! I dont think it sounds quite as good as headphones into one of my amps, but it still sounds really good.

The convenience cant be beat. It's so easy to take it out, put it away. (My 3 year old son makes leaving gear set up a challenge, and late night headphone practice essential)

I also love how I can practice standing, essentially wireless. Yes theres the headphone wire, but I'm not "tied" to anything.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I do not know how much I will use it at home because I bet the Trace Elliot Elf I have coming with be great with headphones too, but I could certainly would work well for me the way you use it too.

Stumbo likes this.
  4. reeljerc

reeljerc

Aug 28, 2017
    Santa Ana, CA
    Can you use that with active pickups? I heard it can blow headphones.

5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

from volume (overpowering your cans)?

6. reeljerc

reeljerc

Aug 28, 2017
    Santa Ana, CA
    I don't know, but that makes sense. I've got volume control on my phones. I'm going to give it a try anyway. I'll let you know.

7. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    You might, if you like to play along with recordings - the Elf has a headphone out socket, but no AUX in, unfortunately.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  8. CallMeAl

CallMeAl Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    The vox has 3 modes, “high, normal and low” gain. But it doesn’t specify dB or say anything about active basses

9. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I’ve used headphone amps with active basses for years without problems. I wouldn’t worry.

10. reeljerc

reeljerc

Aug 28, 2017
    Santa Ana, CA
    Yeah, it was fine. Cool little thing. I'll probably never use the drum beats, but the Aux in is useful. Being un-tethered, you can lay out anywhere and practice, I like it!

11. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Been using one for years and actually bought a second to keep at my office. The drum machine is fun too, not something I use all the time, but it serves a purpose occasionally.

12. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada/Motown
    Greetings from the North,

Although kinda pricey there's always the Phil Jones Big Head.

Rezdog

Spupilup likes this.
  13. Spupilup

Spupilup

Jan 11, 2019
    New England
    I love mine.

Rezdog likes this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021