headphone amp output as input to powered monitor?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by craigb, Mar 27, 2002.

1. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Hey y'all,

I've been thinking about the monitoring "issues" my band has. First off we have too few monitors (fixable with money) and secondly we don't have as many monitor mixes as everyone would like. We run everyone through the PA (2 guitar pods, sansamp BDDI for me, Roland electronic drums) and don't use individual instrument amps (a Marshall half stack is way too much for stage sound in the places we play). Everyone has a mic and everyone but the singer has an instrument.

I found Rolls makes a "personal monitor mixer" (here's the info on it) that will mix a mic signal (with pass-through), an instrument signal (and provide DI/XLR out for it) and a line in (for monitor in). That would provide just about everyone the inputs they would need for monitoring.

But my question is "can the headphone outputs be used as inputs to a powered monitor?"

I know that it would need to be mono and the levels would need to be watched to avoid clipping but otherwise, are there any impedance or other issues that would make this not work? The Raven Labs headphone amp can be used as a preamp but has a line out in addition to the headphone outs.

Thanks for any input on this
  2. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I run the headphone output from our sound system into a powered monitor (with a seperate volume on the monitor) without any problems. Whether the impedance and all the other technical stuff is matched...I have no clue. It works though and has been working for 3 years without any problems. No hiss or anything ugly coming out!

In my case, the PA is only used for vocals and acoustic guitar so we don't have any problems with trying to give each musician a customized monitor feed.

If the drummer, singer, guitarist, etc. are all thru the PA and have different monitors then you may want to look into a monitor setup where you can give each monitor a customized signal. For example, the singer may want their monitor to have more vocals and less instruments or the drummer may want more drums and bass...etc. We don't use this for our setup so I can only suggest this as an option...plus I have no knowledge about this type of monitor setup but I am reasonably sure it exist.

Hope this helps!
  3. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Thanks for the reply. I think I may get one of those things and try it out.

Having everyone go through the PA with no onstage amps is great for getting a good house mix but since we don't really have enough monitors (3 monitors for 5 people) it's been difficult making it so everyone can hear themselves well enough. Our mixer only puts out ~3 separate mixes (using the Auxes) and it can be hard to get them set up right. Everyone wants basically a balanced mix with themselves louder. If everyone had one of these and a powered monitor of some sort we'd be all set.