Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

headphone amp recommendations?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by billoetjen, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Hi,
    I play a passive dual p/u Ibanez and usually use an Ampeg BA110 for practice (absolutely love it).
    But sometimes I just want to carry the gig bag and that's it.
    Can someone suggest from experience one of the little pocket headphone amps? I'd like something (with compression) for under $100.

Thanks and please accept my apologies if you've heard this one too many times already.

Bill
    billoetjen@fastermac.net

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Maybe a bit more than 100 bucks, but I love my Korg Pandora for practicing. I live in an apartment and can't play loudly...it's all I use to practice. I bought rechargeable batteries and have the power adapter and its worked out great. I also take it with me to shows and use it to warm up.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I really dig my Pocket Rock-It. Good quality, and has a couple adjustable settings from bright to fuzz. If you decide to step over the $100 limit, then you need to get a Cafe Walter or an old Raven Labs.

-Mike

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    you actually get the pandora pretty cheap on the ol' bay.

5. I have the older Pandora, PX3B, which I bought for $50 via ebay. I am very happy with it.

6. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I LOVE my Cafe Walter Audio head phone amp that I bought from BassNW.com :hyper:

7. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    I got a Pandora PX4B, it is pretty great as well! :D

8. rhett

rhett

Dec 23, 2004
    Austin TX
    there was a korg ax1b multi effects unit in the classifieds for 50(?)
    i have one that i keep exclusively for a headphone amp because it runs on batteries or adapter, has a tuner,
    and an expression pedal. slightly larger than the others listed, but still fits in a gig bag easily.
    kinda nice because if i got a chance to jam while traveling it would useful. not great, but useful for the size and price.