headphone amp recommendations?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by billoetjen, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Hi,
    I play a passive dual p/u Ibanez and usually use an Ampeg BA110 for practice (absolutely love it).
    But sometimes I just want to carry the gig bag and that's it.
    Can someone suggest from experience one of the little pocket headphone amps? I'd like something (with compression) for under $100.

Thanks and please accept my apologies if you've heard this one too many times already.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Maybe a bit more than 100 bucks, but I love my Korg Pandora for practicing. I live in an apartment and can't play loudly...it's all I use to practice. I bought rechargeable batteries and have the power adapter and its worked out great. I also take it with me to shows and use it to warm up.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I really dig my Pocket Rock-It. Good quality, and has a couple adjustable settings from bright to fuzz. If you decide to step over the $100 limit, then you need to get a Cafe Walter or an old Raven Labs.

4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    you actually get the pandora pretty cheap on the ol' bay.
  5. I have the older Pandora, PX3B, which I bought for $50 via ebay. I am very happy with it.
  6. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I LOVE my Cafe Walter Audio head phone amp that I bought from BassNW.com :hyper:
  7. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    I got a Pandora PX4B, it is pretty great as well! :D
  8. rhett

Dec 23, 2004
    Austin TX
    there was a korg ax1b multi effects unit in the classifieds for 50(?)
    i have one that i keep exclusively for a headphone amp because it runs on batteries or adapter, has a tuner,
    and an expression pedal. slightly larger than the others listed, but still fits in a gig bag easily.
    kinda nice because if i got a chance to jam while traveling it would useful. not great, but useful for the size and price.