Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

headphone amp-sadowski, raven labs, fodera

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mike_odonovan, Apr 18, 2002.

1. I know there has been a little bit about these headphone amps so far, but i need more advice. I am about to order one of these gadgets over the phone (where i live no-one seems to stock any decent bass gear). I want to use it primarily with an electric upright bass that has no accoustic chamber and sounds like a big fretless. I would like to use it with a precision and jazz bass i have as well maybe. Which headphone amp really has preamp capabilities? does the mid range of the raven labs tip it in their favour? is the sadowski preamp sound really all its cracked up to be?

any help much appreciated as i am not a gear junky and won't be making a purchase of this extravagence for quite some time. so want to get it right! :eek:

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Get the Raven Labs....more versatile, can be used as a preamp as well. Get an MDB-1 along with it, and you can use the same rig for EB and EUB. Several guys are doing this with good success over on the Dudepit.

3. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I wish I'd tried all three to give you a better recommendation, but the only one I've tried is the Raven Labs. I always recommend it as a preamp, actually. It's the most precise preamp I've ever heard in my life. Absolutely zero coloration (to my ears)....it's like a transparent signal boost between your bass and power amp with some eq thrown in. I played it through the headphones and it was the exact same thing.