Headphone amp vs. In Ear System

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassman314, May 10, 2005.

1. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Look like this fits best in Misc...

I attempted a couple of searches, and didn't get any hits.. so here goes.

I play in 2 different bands each week at church. In both, I have a similar problem in that I can hear Jack and Crap.. and Jack left the band.

In my Sunday morning band, I can hear myself, as I use a small amp on a stand as a monitor, but I don't hear anyone else. We use 2 wedges for the vocalists, but we don't have more space for additional wedges, as the choir loft takes most of the space of the chancel.

In my Tuesday night group, again, I have a small stage, and there's NO space for monitors. I have to stand directly in front of my cab, so my knees get a nice massage, but I can't hear much, especially when the drummers are going. Plus, I have decided that crash cymbals, and half-open hi-hat's are of the devil for my tender, low frequency-attuned ears.

So I'm thinking of adding some form of personal monitoring device to my rig. I'm looking at both wireless in ear systems, "personal monitors", and headphone amps. I'm leaning towards a 4-channel headphone amp, as other instrumentalists in the same bands are having problems, as well. I can take a mix of the board and send it out to everone. BYOHP.

Regardless of the system I go with, I'll probably use the Shure E2 ear-buds.

I want to hear feedback from all sides.

Do any of you use In Ear systems Live? How well do they work on Bass on a consistent basis?

Do any of you use the "personal monitors" or headphone pre-amps live? What sorts of headphones do you use with them?

When you answer, please give me the make and models that you use. At this point, I'm leaning towards PreSonus, Shure, Rolls, Samson, and Sennheiser.
  2. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    I just started a new gig at a church that uses headphones for most of the band. The vocalists still have a wedge as does the guitarist.

The drummer and I have a small matrix mixer. We each have our own channel we can mix how we want. There are four channels on the mixer; drums, bass, guitar and a general mix. That way, we can have 'mor-me' if we want. The drums, and general mix are aux sends from the FOH console. If it weren't for the sweaty headphones it would be really nice. The general mix has house mics in it, which is key. (IMO)

I just received a pair of Shure e5 earphones today and have been trying out the different filters the past few hours at work. The triple flange filters seem to be the most comfortable and cut out the most outside sound. The sound quality is *very* impressive. I'm at lunch right now listening to Allan Holdsworth's "All Night Wrong". I've never heard Jimmy Johnson's bass so well. I've had to turn the volume down to less than half of what it was for my old earbuds.

In short, if you want to use headphones/earphones on stage, a house mic makes a big difference in getting that 'live' sound. If you find the e2's don't give you enough low end response, try another model or another brand. Make sure you get a good seal too.

Good luck!!
  3. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA

I've looked into the matrix systems, and I would LOVE to work with one. I demoed the Shure PSM400 set-up as a 4-channel matrix with E1's... It was actually pretty cool, until I found out that to get the sound we'd need (up to 5 vocalists, 2 guitars, V-drums, bass, piano), we'd end up spending around $10,000.00 total. We just upgraded our entire soundsystem for $40,000.00, and to get that it was a fight.

Yeah I spoke with a couple other guys I play with, and I think a headphone amp will be the way to go. I told our drummer and piano player that if they get themselves to the amp (ie get their own headphones, 1/8-1/4, and extension cables) they can plug in. Our vocalists use wedges right now, but if this works for us, I'll talk the church into buying a unit for their use and get rid of the wedges.

I'll check out the E2's for now. Both of them have the same size... interface? for the filters, so eventually, I'll drop the dosh on custom filters. If the E2's work, great... if they don't, I'll relegate them to use on my CD player, or at work, and get some better ones.

I'm really looking into the PreSonus HP-4. It's a 1/3 rack-space model that only runs about $100.00. I've already been heavilly looking into their COMP16 Compressor, TubePRE Mic pre-amp, and EQ3B Parametric EQ for my AEB. They are 1/3 rack-space and fit into a custom rack that PreSonus makes. Should be a sweet little rig that will be easilly portable.
  4. bobalew

May 21, 2005
    Aledo, TX
    This is difficult to classify!

Just had a problem in the studio - the pitch in the headphones was slightly higher than true. Noticed it playing upright and doing BGV.

Anybody know what is the cause or what is the fix? It is almost a Doppler effect! Can't use earbuds in front of open mic.
  5. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    When you use them, are you sending yourself back to them so youc an hear your won vocals?

If you have your ears plugged up (in-ears, ear plugs, etc.) your brain will process the vocals from the sound that resonates in your skull.. it is perceived as sharp, as compared to everything else.

Pipe your vocals to the in ear, and get used to tuning yourself off of what you hear, not what you feel...
    Bruce_M likes this.