1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Headphone Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Count Bassie, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I'm thinkiong about one of these little jigs for the isolation they offer during practice. I have a busy and sometimes loud household, and practice can be a compromising deal! But a small, belt-clip mouted, 9v mini amp and headphones, well then I could get away for an hour!

Any thoughts or recommendations? Under $50?

Thanks!

2. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    I have the Pocket Rocket for bass. Had it for over a year, use it often, recommend it. It came with a headphone, has an aux input so you can plug in an ipod type of thing and play along. Not sure how much I paid but I think it's in your ballpark. When I'm on the road and in the hotel... this is my only option to practice and it works great.

3. Structure5

Structure5

Jul 9, 2003
    Lima,OH
    +1
    I purchase the S1B Pocket Rockit for $49.00 after shipping. They offer a V1B which has more options and cables included but it is more like $80.00 before shipping.

4. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    There is a Pandora for sale in the accessories classifieds. Buy it. You won't regret it. It is worth the extra $30.

5. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I highly recommend the Cafe Walter HA-1. It is a great practice tool - could live without it (had it for ~5 years). It is very simple and is a very accurate amplifier that doesn't color your sound in any way.

6. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Another vote for the Korg Pandora although i think its out of your price range new.
    Ive just got a PX4D and love it. I got it because i can plug in a ipod or whatever and it transposes the songs on the fly and so helps a great deal when i have to learn songs in different keys to the originals. Built in drum machine, tuner etc.
    It comes with a belt clip as well.

They dont make PX4D any more i believe but you can still get them.

7. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Thanks for all the responses! I'm looking into the various rec's here. A'right...!

8. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Also keep your eyes open for the now old model tascam CDBT1MKII They are down near 90.00 I know it is higher than you were looking to spend but they are cool tools.

9. I feel. I live in an apt complex with no practicing. I flip out.

Just for stupidity factor.

Lemme postulate this, because I don't know.

"you shouldn't plug headphones into the speaker jack of your rig"

true or false?

10. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    My Ashdown manual says you can plug headphones into the speaker out jack of their amp, but to keep volume really really low or you'll easily blow up your headphones.

Never use just headphones on an amp with a tube power section as you'll fry your amp.

I will second the Tascam Bass Trainer mkII. I've used one for a couple of years now (long before the price drop) and it's great. Can use it to transpose / slow down / speed up songs on CD (has to be in audio CD format) if you need to learn a song.

I've stopped using it for learning off CDs, but it still lives in my gigbag for my work rig because it's a headphone amp, tuner and metronome all in one package. There are effects built-in too, but I just use it for the amp/tuner/metronome functions mostly now.

11. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    another +1 for Pandora's Box.

In addition to the Aux input for your iPod or whatever it also has a simple drum machine and tuner. it is great for practicing. Most of the effects are pretty bad but it is at least entertaining when you want to mess around.

Another cool thing that I have done is gone to practice with my acoustic friends and more than once I have CAREFULLY plugged my bass into a decent stereo system and played along with them without having to use the crappy Peavey amp they had on hand.

I used to travel every other week from California to Virginia and I always had my bass and my Korg Pandora's box.

Since I bought mine they have cut the price in HALF!

12. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    On your rig... is there a "headphone out" or a "line out" to plug into? Plugging into the speaker outs is a bad idea... headphones were not meant to take the output levels speakers are designed for... in short, you'll blow your headphones up.

13. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I use mine in one of these CD wallets with its built in amp and speaker.
    Its not loud and you have to be careful about distortion but it works quite well back stage at gigs if we are working songs out.

253824187_ewQP9-O.

14. el_mariachi

el_mariachi

Mar 4, 2005
    Denver, CO
    TRUE!! unless you want to blow your headphones and/or ears. Seriously though, unless its an extremely low wattage rig (as 15 watts or less), chances are its gonna be way too much power going to the headphones. not to mention that speaker outputs are usually designed for 8, 4 and sometimes 2 ohms. (studio) headphone resistance values can be anywhere from 300 to 50 Ohms.
    If you don't have a headphone jack on your amp, you *might* try taking the effects loop send (if you have one) to something like your computer aux input. since this is a line level signal it won't damage anything on your computer.

15. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    There's a nice little jig! Good idea.

16. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    The Earwig is supposed to be pretty nice.

17. bhubb3rd

bhubb3rd Supporting Member

May 27, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Another vote for the Cafe Walter; a little more than you wan to spend, but it will last you the rest of your life and does what it does extremely well!

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL

thx for the heads up! :cool:

just found the newly updated mp3 version. does everything i want it to do: cancels out the bassline, changes pitches for different keys, and slows down song tempos. sweetness...

[​IMG]

19. jad

jad

Aug 29, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have a Pandora and it is really all I use anymore for practicing at home. Highly recommended, especially if you already have good headphones. I've been anticipating a new revision from Korg with built in MP3 so you don't need that extra line in, but I see that Tascam beat them to market! If I were shopping for something like this today, I would be taking a long look at the Tascam.

20. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Since the OP's price range was $40 originally I didn't want to bring up this model. If you do pick up this device, can you please do a review on it? I'm having serious thoughts of upgrading to the digital model, but want to hear / read real people reviews before making a final decision.

Just to be clear, the mkII CD version has all those functions as well.