1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Headphone Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazztonebass, Mar 28, 2013.

1. jazztonebass

jazztonebass

Apr 23, 2012
    I am looking for an excellent sounding headphone amp with I-POD input. Can anyone suggest one that they love? Curious about the Avalon U5 DI/PRE as it has headphone out. I think.

2. bludog

bludog

Apr 3, 2012
    Brooklyn 11217
    The 3leaf Audio Enabler... it's AMAZING. Great headphone amp, awesome DI and the EQ is greattoo (but I do not need it).

http://www.3leafaudio.com/products/the-enabler-eqd-i-headphone-amp/

I actually have mine mounted under my pedal board and it's all wired up so I can just plug my headphones and aux device (iPod, drum machine, etc) right into the side of the board. Only the EQ requires the stomp switch, Amp and DI are always on so it's fine under the board. It's the best practice setup I've ever had (especially for incorporating effects) and, like I said, the amp itself sounds soooo good.

3. jazztonebass

jazztonebass

Apr 23, 2012
    bump

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I really like my Korg PX4B - it's been one of the most used pieces of gear I've ever bought, and worth every penny...

- georgestrings

5. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    thanks for that link..

this got me interested, but there is zero information on the site, so I sent the owner an email asking for the specs of the EQ.

To me its pretty important.. like many i have my own EQ preferences and would be using this standalone on my boat with headphones, then likely direct to PA or amp, and the arrogant s.o.b. replied that he "didn't like spec sheets" so while he chose frequencies that "sounded good to him with his jazz bass" he would not disclose what frequencies he had chosen for the bass, mid1, mid2 and treble pots..

His expectation is that i will pay for it to be shipped, then pay again for it to be shipped back if my personal choices are not in line with his.........

So, for $300 he can go pound sand.

6. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    As I said in my email, that's not my expectation. I have dealers with very generous trial and return policies for this reason.

7. bludog

bludog

Apr 3, 2012
    Brooklyn 11217
    Prymaxe is one of those dealers and they have a 60 day satisfaction guarantee on all pedal purchases. Plus, they have a new promo every other week. I think they are running a 15% off right now and I've seen as much as 30% for purchases this large fairly recently. Check it out if your curious about the 3Leaf, it might work out for you. I know the Enabler already has a lot of fans out there.

FWIW, Spencer is a class act. One of the best boutique builders I've had the pleasure to work with. Great product, great service.

Best of luck with the search... hope you find exactly what you're looking for.

8. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    +1 Spencer's a cool dude.

9. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
  10. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Cafe Walter HA-1A.

11. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    I've used the PJB Bass Buddy for many years as a headphone amp, and my DI of choice for church services. The EQ points are very nice, the limiter is excellent and the aux in works well for playing along with mp3s (which I do when working on theatre scores).

12. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
  13. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    No,

Given that neither you nor your dealers offer free shipping BOTH ways then that is exactly what you said, and are basically still saying..

The simple fact is that you do not provide enough information to allow some customers to make an informed buying decision, and, instead of answering a simple question of "what are the specs on the EQ?" with a simple answer of "I do not disclose that as i consider it proprietary information", you give me the runaround for two days.

It doesn't matter which way you look at it, that is not good customer service.

this is now off topic so for the OP's benefit i shall let it rest.

14. +1 Spencer's always been helpful. So far he's one of the only builders out of others recommended that has replied here. I own The enabler and it's a really clean sounding headphone amp. It doesn't color the sound of your bass. Better than my pandora before it. I wouldn't call him an S.O.B and I would agree with his philosophy of let your ears guide you instead of numbers.