1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Headphone Amps, Anyone??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chuckee, Apr 5, 2006.

1. chuckee

chuckee

Jun 9, 2005
    Norfolk, VA
    Greetings,

Does anyone have any experience with headphone amps?? I've seen a couple advertised by MF: the Rockman Bass Ace and the Dean Bass in a Box. A year ago, I remember reading ads for another smaller direct (to bass) plug-in device.

Are they worth the $40 to $80 cost?

Thanks,

Chuckee:bassist:

2. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If you can save a few more $s, the cafe walter is fantastic!

3. chuckee

chuckee

Jun 9, 2005
    Norfolk, VA
    Thanks. Who sells?

C

4. chuckee

chuckee

Jun 9, 2005
    Norfolk, VA
    Pickles,
    Thanks again. Can you give me any specifics as to how well you've been satisfied with your CW's performance??
    chuckee:D

5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I use a Pocket Rockit that is pretty good - definitely better than the Dean box.

6. chuckee

chuckee

Jun 9, 2005
    Norfolk, VA
    'preciate it.
    chuckee;)

7. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Just make sure you get the new pocket Rockit V2B bass, as shown below. A nice thing about these is that they sound good have cool built in features and can just sit on the input jack. So no more beltclips or having to set an external unit somewhere next to you.

[​IMG]

Even though it's a little more, its much better than its cheaper brethren (below).

[​IMG]

Website here:

http://www.pocketrockit.com/v2b.htm

A sidenote: their regular non-bass guitar version (v2) of these is by far the best mini guitar headphone amp, I've ever tried. Especially for distortion through headphones, where most of them sound bad.

8. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
  9. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'm a big fan. The walter's sound is clean, pure, and uneffected, and does a very good job at driving headphones. If you like an effected sound, you might be surprised by the honesty of the walter, but if you get used to that kind of response, and play without a compressor ... your technique WILL improve.

Franky, its made me hate my amps. :ninja: My good basses through the walter and some sennheiser 555s is tonal nirvana as far as I'm concerned.

I know its well above your price limit ... but I thought I'd give it props anyway. I havn't used any of the other commercial headphone amps.

10. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    The real cost in a great headphone amp is the headset. I bought a used Korg Pandora for $75 and then spent $65 on an Audio-Technica ATH-M30 headphones. They made an immense difference on everything that I have tried. The B string was finally clear and full sounding :)

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    been thinking about getting a pandora, too. seems like the phased out the basscentric one for an all purpose guitar/bass version.

12. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    I vote for Korg PX4B. You can thank me later. :D ;)

13. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I use a Bass V-amp. not sure its what you mean but it has stereo line in with level control as well as bass in and i run my MD in to it and can then play along. also it has various effects, amp ims etc and its dirt cheap these days.

14. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

A huge +1.... no gimmicks, just great, transparant perfect sound... no way to clip the input like on other units, and plenty of power to drive good quality headphones with lot's of low end.

$175 with power supply from Bass Northwest, if I remember correctly. Also, nice auxilary input with volume control for MP3 or metronome, etc. Wonderful unit.

15. While it is not very fancy, the Bass Ace is usable and regularly goes for really cheap on the bay. I would never pay $30 or $40 for one, might as well get something better - but if your money is tight you might be lucky and snag one for around $15 to $20 delivered especially if a bunch happen to hit ebay at once.

The Bass Ace doesn't have all the F/X but that also makes you listen to what your fingers are doing on the strings and frets, a good thing for plain old practice.

Peace,
    S

16. I have a Pocket Rockit, and I am not impressed.

1. The on-off switch produces a click that is so loud I have to remember to take the headphones off my ears before I use it.

2. With treble boost on, the gain is so high that the unit goes into feedback if it isn't plugged in to a bass. I found this out because I had a fault on my bass - I now have tinitus.

3. The built-in jackplug is probably fine if you have a Fender style front-mounted jack socket, but with a Yamaha/Warwick/etc style edge-mounted socket, the unit swivels upside-down because it is top heavy.

4. If you use more comfortable headphones, e.g. your hifi ones, you get lots more hiss.

I also have a Zoom 708(?) which has none of these problems, and includes a tuner and simple drum machine. However, it does not have a 'play along to a CD' aux input, it only records 6 seconds for you.

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I own 2 Pocket Rock-it's (1 w/chorus feature, 1 without) and I have had none of the problems described above! (You may have gotten a lemon) Mine are very quiet. You do need a good pair of headphones though! The ones that come with it are really cheap! I like them because I can plug in an iPod/mp3 or cd player and learn and play along to tunes! Both have worked wonderful for me. I also own 2 Zoom (506, 506II)pedals which are cool too!

18. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

I vote for the Korg PX4B. You can thank lame(B)ass later.

19. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    Also you can thank Lug, that he hasn't attached any mp3 samples yet. :bag: