1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Headphone Amps in Studio

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by iriegnome, Apr 23, 2015.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    We are setting up to record. We have our SoundCraft GB8 Board set up. All 40 channels are lined in. Got our Alesis HD24's all set up and working per channel. Now, I need something to listen to the band while we play. Monitors.. Headphones to be exact. I have a pair. I have my cable. I need to figure out what to buy as a headphone amp of sorts. Now, I was looking at the Pyle PHA-40, Behringer HA400, Behringer MA400 and the ART MyMonitor, but am not sure if they are just too cheap or if they are not exactly what I should be looking at or what.
    I am sure you all have some opinions on this?? A lot of help would be appreciated.

2. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Found a wired monitor system by Elite Core that seems kind of cool for about $100 as well. The Pyle is about $20 and so is the Behringer HA400. The MA400 is about $35 and the ART is upwards of $80.. Since I don't really know any of these I am hoping someone has some experience with them

3. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    I use the behrigner headphone amps at my studio. they are just fine. if you are going to use an aux send from the board to the headphone amp, you will likely need a 1/4" male TS to female TRS plugged into the aux send on the board, and a TRS cable plugged into the input of the headphone amp in order to get the signal equally into both ears. If you use one aux send to go to the headphone amp this will be a mono send, but it should be totally fine as long as it's in both ears. no need to spend big bucks on an expensive headphone amp.

iriegnome likes this.
  4. ckuhn

ckuhn

Jun 16, 2006
    Hi, are you talking about the HA400?
    Is the volume and sound quality ok?
    Thanks!

5. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Yes, we have 2 Behringer HA400s. As long as you have a nice clean signal that is loud enough, high fidelity is not really terribly important for a headphone amp. Depending on how you are feeding the headphone amp, you will have multiple knobs to turn that will get more level sent to the headphone amp. I don't think I've ever had anyone need to turn the knob for their channel all the way up. It's clean enough and loud enough.

6. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Our board is a Sound Craft GH8. We are sending the signal out via Aux TRS... I think that since I am running mono (just 1 channel) I would just be able to use 1 TRS to TRS with the HA400s. Yes?

7. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    You can try but chances are you will only get one side in the headphone amp. I did the same thing with a different board (which does have a balanced aux send) and had to get the 1/4" male TS to female TRS to make it work for both ears.

8. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I am pretty sure the Aux Sends on our board are TRS.. I am using a TRS to XLR into my IEM's currently. I am just wanting to switch to a hard wire version to have more volume control by me instead of at the board

9. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    I bought a Presonus HP 60. I love the fact that I can run the main mix, as much or as little click and what they call "more me". It's not cheap, I think that the features and quality made it worth what I paid for it.