Headphone amps.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Theshortlist_to, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    Im looking to be building a travel bass soon and i want to fit a headphone amp built in and to also have a jack output.

any advice on how i would go about this and also of any good small headphone amps out there i could use to put inside my bass?
  2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Do a search on Café Walter in Amps.
    There's also the Raven Labs HPA-1 or whatefer it's called
  3. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    You could build your own, the hardest part of making a headphone amp is the case and that's already done if you're putting it in a bass. A slightly modified CMOY would work well, especially if your using high impedance headphones (~120-600 ohms).

Edit: Here's a link. No need for R1 or SW1, if you use the volume pot version use a 100-500k pot and not a 10-50k one, you may want to add a virtual ground buffer.
  4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you are willing to build a headphone amp, I also have a design that allows one stereo in and one mono in. This allows you to practice along to a CD for example.

I built this for an expected trip to the UK. I was going to rent a bass and use this along with a portable CD player.

The schematic is kinda hard to read since I broke the left to right rule. The inputs are on the outside (stereo on left, mono on right) and the output is in the middle.

If you do build it, breadboard it first. And read the notes. You might need more gain.

5. About 15 years ago I used to help my music reading teacher make bass/guitar headphone amps out of walkmans. They allowed the student to play along with a tape, or just practice by hitting play and not having a tape inside.

If you want a premade headphone amp, you can get a dean bass in a box for about 30 bucks and take the blackbox apart. You can then fit all the electronics in the control cavity of the bass. Quite simple, really.
  6. Can anyone explain the rationale in the link for using a DUAL pot for the input volume???
  7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Stereo input. The schematic only shows one channel, you build two identical channels.
  8. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    In this case one would use a single pot and connect the wiper to both amplifiers.
  9. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    This thing works. Vol adjustments are done on the bass and the CD/Tape player. (Hörlurar=head phones)

When built in, the cable from the vol is split between the jack and the headphone amp (which is really small). You will want a switch for the battery, to save juice and to mute the headphones.

Kepp it simple :p :D