Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Headphone/Micro amps...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Discgraham, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Hey all,
    I'm buying a bass for a good friend of mine for her birthday but I can't afford to buy her an amp. I talked to her mom and she's going to give me some money to buy a headphone/micro amp on my recommendation. I don't really know what would be best for bass, so could you please help me? I need it by saturday so online or something common would be best. Thanks a lot!

2. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    why dont you just buy a small practice amp...

it would porbably be cheaper than buying a headphone amp, like a phil jones bass budyy (300$ approx new)

3. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Don't know how much money you'd wanna spend but the Tascam bass trainer might be cool.

then she can play along with her favorite cds too!! :D

4. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Definitely a Tascam bass trainer. She wont bother anyone because of the headphones and she can play to CD's.

5. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    If you really want to go the headphone amp route, I'd reccomend the PreSonus headphone distribution amp. It's purpose is more for monitoring in a studio situation, but for $100, you can't go wrong. Your local Guitar Center should have it.

Maybe if we knew your budget, we could be more helpful.

6. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I love my Tascam bass trainer. Very useful....and it may have even saved my marriage. :cool:

7. Thanks for the input! Her mom doesn't want to spend more than $50 on a headphone amp right now. She's getting a real bass amp in December, so she basically needs something she can get by on. I'm going shopping now.

8. Ok I bought a Dean Markley unit. The store was having an amp blowout, so I couldn't pass up the deal. It's got a headphone jack, an external speaker, and a built in tuner, and it came out to about $34. Thanks for you input guys!