Headphone practice amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassMann2112, May 12, 2004.

1. BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    I'm looking for a decent headphone practice Amp, so I can effectivly practice at work. In your Opinion what would you suggest for a decent set up. I was looking at the Bass Ace or the X-100 by Tom Scholz (headpphone unit). I have seen a few older ones for sale when the manufacturing department was called SRD - Scholz Research and Development. That one has more fetures in the design and looks like it may be better.
    Who else has what I should be looking for
    Are there any other manufactures out there making what I'm looking for? (Headphone practice amplification)

Any help here would be great.
  2. ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    At one time I owend a Bass Ace. HUGE pile-o-crap! Save your $$. If you want something that sounds great look for a Raven Labs PHA-1. Greatest like piece of gear I think I own. You can plug you bass and a CD player into it and play along. Sounds killer! 3 band Eq for the bass, level mixing for the CD, tuner out. The PHA-1 makes a pretty darn good pre-amp as well. You could probably find on on ebay or at some of the bass shops for around $100 to $125 used or about $200 new. Sounds like a lot but you will save money in the long run by not buying junky headphone amps. The Raven Labs is great!
  3. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    /agree I love mine. Fodera also makes a small one...might check out there web page. I've heard good things about it.
  4. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    This question comes up a lot so I suggest you do some searching. And if you do you might find that I (happily) use a small Behringer mixer as a headphone amp.
  5. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I once had a Bass Ace...it didn't have the best or cleanest sound. I had a Pandora for awhile that was better and more versatile...a Zoom 506II also makes a decent headphone amp...as does the smallest Behringer mixer...lots of good options these days...most better than the Bass Ace.
  6. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I use my Zoom BFX708 as a headphone amp. It is great for practice because it has some cheesy drum beats on it. Also it has a couple of amp and speaker sims that make it sound nice.
  7. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
  8. bandkindbass

Feb 13, 2003
    Oslo, Norway
    I use the pandora, and it does the job.
  9. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    I use my laptop.

Plug in my bass and a pair of headphones. Run the CD player using ' The Amazing Slow Downer' which allows you to slow it right down and maintain sound quality. It's also much easier to loop exactly what you want as you can change the start and finish points by 100's of a second whilst its running.

It's also got a 'real' drum machine (rather than just a few programmed loops).

Much better than my pandora - but no effects - don't use em anyway...

Only drawback is that it's bigger than your typical headphone amp.
  10. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I recommend the Cafe Walter HA-1:

It works great, and gives you the natural sound of your bass with no coloration (so you can hear your mistakes better). You can also channel in an audio device such as a CD player or metronome via an 1/8" input.

I had the Aux out on mine modified so it could drive my power amp (and hence acts as a backup for my rack pre).
  11. pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Raven Labs PHA-1

You get the clean sound of your bass and it makes a great preamp.
    When i play along with cd's it seems that I am playing "inside" the cd, if you know what i mean.

I think that plugging your bass direct to a mixer or computer is not the best because of the impedance mismacth between your bass output and mixer/computer input.
    You loose a lot of high end this way and when I'm practicing I what to ear every nuance of my bass.
    That's the only way you know that you are practicing the right way (earing everything from your bass instead of a bad reproduction of your playing).

Although I have my amp in my home, when I practice, i always use the Raven.

Don't forget that it comes with headphones (I think they're very good)

Please visit: http://www.raven-labs.com/pages/products/pha1/pha1.html

12. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    IMHO get a Pandora PX4B. It's Great for practice. :D
  13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Korg Bass Pandora, the series 3's are pretty cheap used on Ebay, series 4 a bit more.

If you like to play along with discs, can't beat the4 Tascam Bass Trainer, its a bass headphone preamp and CD player all in one very small unit, with phrase sampling and detuning abilities, along with a feature to remove most of the pre-existing bass track from the CD so you can play along with the disc as the only bass player. Around $140.