Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by capalito, Sep 9, 2003.

1. capalito

capalito ----

Dec 27, 2002
    I am looking for a small headphone practice amp to use when I am travelling.
    I am a little reluctant to spend $220-300 in the Raven or the Fodera.
    There are some cheaper ones you can get but they are not specifiaclly made for bass.
    Any advice?
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Korg Bass Pandora PX3B's can be picked up used on Ebay for around $100, a great little headphone unit with drum machine patterns in it.
  3. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I'm not sure if this might be overkill for your situation, but the Phil Jones Bass "briefcase" amp is amazing! It literally fits in a briefcase, but can still handle a low B and cranks out some serious power if you need it to. It is probably the first true practice amp that doesn't sound like a crappy practic amp...and it can even run on battery power! I LOVE this thing and think it is one of the most innovative designs we've seen in the bass community in a long time. Check it out at www.philjonesbass.com
  4. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    There is a Raven PHA-1 in the For Sale area and that is a great unit. Mine is one of the few indispensible pieces of gear that I own. It is very transparent and if you sound good through that you will sound good through anything. It also has a stereo AUX input for play-along and it is perfect.

The Cafe Walter HA-1 is less $$ and has been getting excellent reviews. Musch the same way as the Raven it is very neutral and sounds like what you put in to it.

I have a Bass Rockman for things where I don't want to lug the Raven due to expense or whatever, and it gets the job done and I've seen them (newer Dunlop models) for $30 or so.

The Pandora is like a multi-effects walkman, and is a great deal if you want to run a lot of effects and have a lightweight unit. It also has drum beats and metronome.

Last, I haven't seen one in person, but I saw some promo for a combination CD-player and headphone amp. Korg, I think. It looked like a great one stop solution if you do that kind of practice.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I second Eric's suggestion. You can still find them at music stores (incl. online if you ask), too.
    The newer PX4-B just has a few more bells and whistles that really don't amount to much over the PX3-B for the money, IMO.
    It's a great unit that fits in a shirt pocket and allows you to program more effects and gives you more drum beats than you'll ever need.....plus you can play along with a CD/tape and wipe out the recorded bass track if you wish or record a short bassline.
  6. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO