Headphone quality from amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GrooveAscending, Aug 6, 2019.

1. GrooveAscending

GrooveAscending

Jun 21, 2018
    Hey guys. I have owned an Ampeg combo and now a new Hartke combo, and when I listen to my bass through headphones it always sounds mid-rangey and very ‘boomy’ sounding in the lows and low mids. I’m trying to get the same sound through headphones that I would if I were to go direct into a consul. In other words, I’m trying to replicate the actual sound of the bass amp as much as possible. Is this just a matter of buying very expensive headphones? Or is this a common problem for most combo amps? I’m listening through a pair of $30 Open back headphones. They are not designed for the studio, just casual for casual listening but they have great reviews on Amazon. Is this just a matter of getting something that is much more suited for articulating low and low mid range frequencies better? Or is it something I just kind of have to deal with. The sound isn’t completely awful, but it is significantly worse than when I unplug the phones and listen to my speaker. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Usually DI output from an amp will be of a better signal quality than what goes to headphones, so that may not be the most accurate comparison.

My experience with open backs is that they don't have lots of good bass reproduction. Get a pair of decent closed back, even in the $100 range should be a vast improvement.

Don't forget that even with really good headphones it won't sound exactly the same as what you hear from a speaker in a room. The acoustics of an open space are much more in play than close monitoring with headphones.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021