Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Headphone use on Iamp800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SleeperMan2000, May 11, 2004.

1. SleeperMan2000

SleeperMan2000

Jul 31, 2002
    Cary NC
    I bought a used Iamp800 and haven't yet bought a cab for it. I thought I'd check out the sounds with the headphone but couldn't get anything but hiss out the phone jack.

Power switch was on in the back, speaker button was off in front, output was on on 3, input on 3, tuner was registering, and the amp was getting input (green input light was firing when i hit the amp), headphone was in the proper jack, passive bass in the passive input.

Am I missing something? Took the bass, the cord, and the phones to another amp and it worked, so nothing wrong with the cords or headphone or bass.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I didn't get any sound out of my phones jack on the 350 using the same configuration either. We both must be doing something wrong!

3. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne
    thats freaky!...i was just about to ask the exactly the same question about the iamp!
    i have been told that the amp "might" need a speaker load connected 1st. Im not sure if this is correct or not, so im going to email them and check.

4. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Let us know! I don't have any headphones on me to try it out.

5. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I had that problem too, and switching headphones took care of the issue. Gary at EA said it had something to do with the impedence of my headphones? (I was using Grado 80's)

Try a different set of cans...

6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I actually tried mine for the first time today... No hiss whatsoever. I used AKG 240's. ;)

7. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Apparently the new iAMP 800's (without the tuner) have an upgraded headphone amp as well...

8. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne
    i just got a response back from Gary at EA and he said that as long as the speaker switch is off, there shouldnt be any problems.