Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Headphones and Headphone Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Atef, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Since I wan't be able to use a full amp next year(living small)

I'm looking inta a headphone amp, but as I'm in Europe, I don't have acces to a wide array of choices. My budget isn't that big(round and about 160 euro's) either. So I was looking into the behringer bass Vamp(or whatever it's called). I'm curious as to how the headphone out quality is on that thing. Any comments?

Also, I would also like a pair of headphones that can handle the bass(including the low B, just to be sure), I don't need them to be small or anything, but they should cost about 100 Euro's at the most.

Thanks in advance
    by the way, I did do a search, but didn't get the answers I really needed, so excuse me if you get tired of questions like this :)

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    AKG 240's handle a Low B with aplomb and are very uncolored as cans go... Decent attenuation of outside sound and I think they go for under a $100 US, so they might fit into your price range. I use mine with a Raven Labs PHA-1 which is the best headphone amp option-wise, if you ask me. Downside: It's expensive! Not sure of the availablility outside the US. :eyebrow:

3. the AKG's might be had for under a 100 over here... will have to make an effort on it though

and the raven labs, is like 350 new over here
    so that's not going to work

4. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Try Sony MDR-7506 or MDR-V6 (basically same stuff, but professional vs. consumer version) for about 130 Eur. For bass I've never heard better phones. Massive, but tight and defined deep bass. No way muddy or boomy. Closed design. Do not need dedicated headphone amp, can be driven from regular output on your gear. Some time ago I used them with V-AMP and it was amazing.. ;) For general listening they are good as well, however, treble can be perceived as harsh for someones taste.
    Did I say deep, massive, tight bass ? :bassist:

5. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    The headphones I use, umm Audiotechnica ATH-M40's are pretty nice, and you can find them for $80 which isn't bad seeing as the list is $140, they come with a 1/4 inch input though, but I have a feeling that wouldn't matter with a headphone amp.

6. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Check out the Tascam bass trainer. It costs $149.00 US and does way more than just be a headphone amp. I bought the gu*tar trainer when it first came out and liked it so much that I bought the bass trainer when it first came out and I like the bass trainer even more. Lots of bang for your buck! :bassist:

7. I'll probably look into those akg's
    or maybe same sennheiser 280's or whatever they're called

any input on the behringer bass pod?

8. I'm not a fan of any Behringer gear.

Bassist Walter Harley and his wife make an excellent small bass headphone amp called the Cafe Walter. Check out www.cafewalter.com

You can get them from Steve Barr over at the Dudepit or Bassnorthwest.

Aloha,

Jonathan

9. thanks for reply's so far,
    Anyway, I hadn't noticed the Raven Labs PHA-1 comes with a headphone
    now...is this headphone any good, I'm guessing it is.. but Would I benefit from changing it to maybe a sennheiser, or will the headphone be as good as the PHA-1 itself?

10. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    The undisputed champ for bass response are the Beyerdynamics 770 ( DT-770 I think). I had them for abit, and I played Massive Attack's Angel through them just for fun. It was a brain melting experience. But they were a little uncomfortable for me, so I returned them. They attenuate outside noise very well.

Now I'm using Audio Technica's ATH-W1000 ("the woodies") and they are the best thing my ears have heard. Maybe comparable only to the Sony CDR-3000's. But that's a little out of your price range, so ignore that. (But there's always something to shoot for, eh?)

11. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I use both a PHA-1 and a Cafe Walter headphone amp and they both rock. The PHA-1 sounds more "dry" and the Walter has less bells and whistles. You should be able to order from a US source, and the shipping isn't too bad.

Either way I like the Grado SR-60s as the best bang for the buck in headphones. I like the open design. If I had to go with a closed back I'd take the AKG 240s (I'm pretty sure of that model... They make a few variants).

12. The Raven Labs box comes with a pair of semi-closed Yamahas which are decent for simple, cheap cans but don't compare with the nice ones folks are raving about above.

I have a couple of pairs of high end Sony's, and they are fine for my purposes.

Aloha,

Jonathan

13. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I love my Sennheiser HD212pro 'phones.

Really comfortable, great sound, etc etc

I think i paid £40

14. I found a lot of good info at the Headroom Buying Guide. It helped me find a good sub $100 set of phones that fit my needs (Sennheiser HD497).

15. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    But, like everything, don't go by their opinions without getting oposing points of view. Those are just their preferences. Like, for example, I would say nicer words about the Beyerdynamic dt831's. :)

16. I've been using the Sony MDR 7506 headphones as personal monitoring phones for my bass for about nine months. They have excellent bass response and are very comfortable. I would replace them in a blink if they were ever lost or stolen. Bought them new for the equivalent of 83 EUR.

17. BucketButt

BucketButt

Sep 10, 2003
    Medina, TN USA
    Been there, done that, and I'm happy to pass along the fruits of my experience.

Short version: Get a Tascam CD-BT1 Bass Trainer and a set of Koss Portapro headphones. They aren't the least expensive, but you'll be very happy with them -- especially if you enjoy playing along with music on CDs.

Longer version:

I have a Rockman Bass Ace (made by Dunlop) that works well, but the sound is a little harsh and lacking in bass IMHO. The right set of headphones helps with the sound considerably; the wrong set, such as the "el-cheapo" portable headphones I used with it intially, can result in a rather unpleasant listening/playing experience. Even with good headphones, i don't know if it would be satisfactory with a five-string bass. Battery life (a single 9-volt cell) is fairly good, but replacing it requires opening the case.

Much better, and worth the considerable extra cost IMHO, is the Tascam CD-BT1 "Bass Trainer". This is NOT just a headphone amp. The CD-BT1 includes a CD player with controls to change both pitch and tempo -- very useful for learning bass lines from CDs -- and has other useful functions including some effects. The tuner function works well with my four-string basses, but I don't know if it works with a five-string's B. One downside is battery consumption when using the CD player; I typically get only two to three hours out of four AA alkalines, so I recommend getting the optional AC "wall wart" and using house current whenever possible.

As for headphones, most of the ones available these days have pretty good frequency response but some have a bit more bass than others. My headphones of choice for either amp are Koss Portapros; they're louder than most other "portable" headphones, sound great (especially in the bass frequencies), and are surprisingly rugged for a fold-up design. I keep a set in my gear bag along with the Tascam CD-BT1, extra AA alkalines and a few favorite CDs. If you plan on using the headphone amp mainly at home (or in a dormitory), you might prefer a reasonably priced set of closed-back, over-the ear headphones of the sort used with home stereo systems.

I suggest you decide on an amplifier first, and then try it with various headphones to see which ones suit you (and the amp) best. In addition to comfort and sound, be sure to consider the length of the headphone cable; I find the four-foot long cables on some phones intended for use with Walkman-style portables are just too short, but a cable that's six to ten feet long works well. (If the cable is too long, you can always use a plastic twist-tie to take up some of the excess.) Also, make sure the headphone cable either terminates in the appropriate-sized plug for your amplifier, or includes the appropriate adapter.

18. Did anyone try this???

Nobels Bass Mycro (€ 30,00):

[​IMG]