Headphones and other apartment advice

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tash, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'm moving from a house back into an apartment this week. I'm planning on getting a pair of really nice headphones so I can play at all hours (I don't even leave work most nights until 12:30AM) without disturbing anyone. What brands adn models should I look at? I need something that can reproduce not only reasonable bass but also decent guitar, vocals and keyboards for recording and mixing. I would like to stay in the $200-300 range.

Also if anyone has recomendations on being an bass player in an apartment building I would appreciate them.
  2. …for $300 you could get 3 sets of AKG K-240 Monitors and impress those late-night visitors ;)

…or if you want wireless, Sennheiser HDR 120s are OK (I think they're ~$150)…

- Wil
  3. reggaeman

Jul 12, 2005
    Hehe... I feel your pain. I too live in an apartment. I use a set of sony 7506's. I love them. I A/B'd them with a few other brands at guitar center a few years back. The 7506 seemed to produce the best bass.
  4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I live in a condo that I own. I cant make much noise at all as my downstairs neighbour is what one would call a "grumpybear".

When I absolutely cannot wait until practice at the rehearsal studio I bring my rig to the storage area or possibly the indoor (underground) pool. Havent gotten in trouble yet!

Another thing I find really handy is a mixer. I have my home stereo (and thus dvd player, vcr etc), bass guitar, and laptop plugged into my mixer which is really cool to listen to everything silently.

Also, I have a jensen linx wireless headphone setup. It not only allows me to go anywhere in my apartment with no wire hassles, but also you can plug any high quality headphones into the unit which is very unusual.
  5. I have a pair of Sony MDR-V900's. I like them a lot. Great bass response and not too expensive. Also, very comfortable. They enclose your ears and don't put pressure on them like many others I've tried. They're pretty good at blocking exterior noises too.

- Dave
  6. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I've had a pair of Sennheiser HD280's for a few years now. I dig 'em. They actually fall below your specified price range (they go for about $100), but I like 'em.