Headphones for amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fresnorich, Nov 2, 2004.

1. AKG K240M $89

4 vote(s)
  2. AKG K240S $99

1 vote(s)
  3. AKG K240DF $157

1 vote(s)
  4. Sennheiser HD 280 pros $99

5 vote(s)
  5. Sony MDR-7506 $99

4 vote(s)
  1. fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Which headphones would you recommend for practice? (plugged into a Café Walter or regular amp)

Feel free to make other recommendations. I hear good things about the AKGs, but I’m not sure which one is the best for bass: M, S, or DF (keeping in mind the Café Walter). Can anyone tell me what the difference is?

Prices according to MF's website.
    AKG K240M $89
    AKG K240S $99
    AKG K240DF $157
    Sennheiser HD 280 pros $99
    Sony MDR-7506 $99
  2. Grado SR-60 $69.

They sound great, REALLY! Do a search for reviews on the web.
  3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    The HD 280's are louder with better attenuation but they are very midrange-focused. Too much honk for my tastes. AKG 240's are much quieter without as much attenuation but they have a much more even response. My vote goes to the AKG-240. Go for whatever is cheapest, they're all good.
  4. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    +1 for the Grado SR60. I bought a pair specifically for use with my Cafe Walter. VERY nice sound. I don't see the need to pay any more. I also plugged them into my Thunderfunk -
    Ooh Yeah!!!
  5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I grabbed my Audio Technica ATH-M40fs' during a sale at MF when they were a good amount cheaper, but I really dig the even response and would most likely purchase them again at the higher price should something happen.

..and if you've buying from Musician's Friend, always remember to Froogle for the best price and they'll match it. :D
  6. gojirin

Oct 11, 2004
    I would go with the Grados. Most accurate of the bunch.
    Can be tight, though...
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i only have experience with the 240s...............i've used the same pair for 12 years though :)
  8. 7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    I will probably have people disagreeing with me here, but I just don't see even spending this much for headphones to practice with. I have a very expensive set of Sennheisers for when I need to listen to Rattle conduct Szymanovsky's Stabat Mater, but practicing an electric instrument playing rock'n'roll (or jazz) just doesn't require that level of hi-fi. I happen to have an old set of AKG K240 phones that I use for this, but they are overkill. I should give them to someone who can appreciate them and get a pair of cheap phones to practice with. The first criterion would be comfort and stability on the head, and I am not sure the Grados meet this. They are hard on the ears for extended periods and aren't friendly to moving around much, which you do sometimes while practicing. A moderately-priced set of around-the-ear Sonys or something else in the $35 range will do fine, as long as they have decent bass response.

The K240DFs are "diffuse field" equalized, for more accurate reproduction of high frequencies. Look it up on the Web. www.headphone.com has all kinds of info from the hifi perspective. The 240Ms are not DF equalized, but OK, and the same as the old K240 without a letter. The 240S, I have no idea.
  9. go check out some sony mdr-cd380 i think they sound great 40mm drivers help out a little too i picked mine up for about 120 canadian.
  10. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I use the Sennheiser HD280s for a lot of listening duties, bass practice included, and they're not quite optimal in a normal practicing situation. On the plus side, however, the attenuation due to the closed design means you're starting with a significantly lower noise floor; combined with the fact that the HD 280 speakers are relatively sensitive, this means they can be driven to satisfactory monitoring levels in even the worst of conditions -- in environments where other headphones, due to open design or low sensitivity, couldn't cut it. DJ duty in a loud club is a popular application for these headphones, for example.

However, if you're only planning to use these phones for bass duty, and aren't generally disposed to noisy environments and underclass amplification, you'd be better off with some more pleasant sounding headphones - the HD280s often seem flat to the point of being disinteresting.
  11. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    See a Sony coming, run like hell. I have owned most of Sony's products to include tv's, vcr's, dvd's, walkman's, boomboxes, headphones, etc.. All have crapped out on me. No exageration, all have died prematurely. Thank God they don't make cars.....Beware......
  12. fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Thanks to everyone who replied.

I pickup up the Sony MDR-7506 headphones last night from the local GC and so far I'm very pleased. Extremely comforatable and by far the best sounding headphones I've ever heard.

Next month, I'll get a Cafe Walter from Steve at the dudepit and I'll be set.