1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Headphones for bass practice

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by prbrianpr, Mar 21, 2013.

1. prbrianpr

prbrianpr

Jan 1, 2012
    well thats the question, what headphones I can use for bass practice? Im tired of damaging earphones I always end broking it. you know the bass. Im thinking in some big headphones , any suggestion?

2. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    Grado

3. Green1

Green1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Audio Technica and AKG are two that I have used and like. What's your price range?

4. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
  5. Unsure of the specific model numbers, but I have Sennheiser, Audio Technica, Sony, and Shure headphones. They all ran between $79 and $129 (I think), and the best ones IMO are the Shures.

If you are damaging the headphones, you are probably damaging your ears also.

6. grifo21

grifo21

May 29, 2012
    Illinois
    Sennheiser, mine (HD419) work great and they're pretty affordable.

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    For higher price headphones I favor the Beyer Dynamic DT770 Pro (generally $200). For lower price ($100) I like the AKG k240 studio heaphones. Havent tried Grado, but hears good things about them to. Ive owned a few pair of Sennheiser, the upper end models do sound very good, but I find them not as well built for durability compared to competition.

8. Einherjar

Einherjar

Dec 1, 2012
    Lakewood, CO
    My Sony headphones are the nicest and most comfortable headphones I've ever owned. Sadly they have a very short cable that makes playing with them awkward. Other pair is audio technica. Very nice as well, not quite as comfortable or noise cancelling, don't stay on my head as well, but they have a very long curly cable that is perfect for playing while wearing them.

9. Skull Candy aviators. $150 awesome headphones

10. gr8bassplayer

gr8bassplayer

Feb 12, 2013
    Nebraska
    Anything Klipsch

11. prbrianpr

prbrianpr

Jan 1, 2012
    Well Im thinking in going with some of the 100+ range in a near future but I want something that can reproduce the bass sound without distortion and can last more than one week. I need it soon for continue with the practice at night so I cant afford right now a $100+ headphones but maybe a $40-$60 range

12. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

May 11, 2012
    Just picked a pair of Sennheiser HD-280's right here for $60. Neodium drivers and they go down to 8 Hz. They perfectly reproduce my bass tone.

13. Seems like you need to get the "old school" looking headphones to get the best sound reproduction. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like the "ear bud" sized headphones don't deliver in the bass department. I own sennheiser ( not sure of the model # but they were around $130) and do the job very well.

Before the current set, which I've had for 3-4 years now, I had a Bose set that my toddler at the time broke easily. Not that Bose is bad... They just broke easily in a toddlers hands. The sennheiser set seems to have been a little more robust and have lasted me this long and keep on going!

Not that it matters but both sets were purchased at guitar center while on vacation. Hope this helps.

WG.

14. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

Klipsch Reference One. Just got 'em and like the bass tone. Solid and fairly compact.

15. I have 2 pairs:

1.) Audio Technica ATH-M50's. I use these for the more critical listening/recording and when my wife or children aren't likely to be calling me.

2.) Grado SR60i. Great open-back phones that work well and let me hear what's going on around the house.

I play 5 string basses only, and both of these have been great for that thus far. I have had the M50's for a few years and they still look new.

16. Phil jones offer some cans made specifically for bass they may be worth a look if you can save abit.

17. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Just a quick question...
    If its just for late night practice.and u need them right away..why do they have to be expensive? why must the volume be so loud that your "breaking " them.?..
    im still usin a pair i got at a drugstore about 5 yrs ago..and i practice with them probly 3 times a week (at resonable practice volume). Im sure they dont reproduce bass tone as best it cld be..but ..again..were talkin practice here. Of couse i cld be missing something..
    ymmv an the rest.

18. Jalap_inya

Jalap_inya

Aug 13, 2008
    I'm using the Sony MDR-V6 monitor series headphones and I love them, for both silent practice and listening to music. There are tons of great reviews for them. Seems as though it usually comes down to a competition between the MDR-V6 cans and the Grado SR-60i cans for the price point.

19. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

The MDR-V6 are the consumer version of the MDR-V7506 pro headphones. Excellent!