1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Headphones for Cafe Walter

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Jul 22, 2007.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Can anyone recommend me a good set of headphone that is reasonably priced (no 500+ headphones) for my Cafe Walter?

Righ now I use a pair of Yamaha phones that I think are limiting this unit. A lot of people rave about it but it sounds 'just okay' for me and I really think is my sub par phones.

You input is always appreciated as usual.

2. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Grado SR-60s sounded nearly as good to me than some of the expensive Sennhiesers (580's), although the 650's were the king.

SR-60's are relatively cheap and are the best value headphones on the market. I also, liked them better than the higher SR series. Grado also has great service rep, and stands by their products.

There are also good closed backs out there, but open air is king for audio quality IMO.

3. i use sennheiser hd-280 pro's with my cafe walter. they sound great, and have nice bass response.

I really love my cafe walter too, great little box.

4. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Yeah those are another, the 280's are great phones if you're looking at close back design.

5. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
  6. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
  7. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I bought a pair of Sony MDR 7506 phones. They're highly recommended in the Recording forum, and now I know why--they're great! Excellent bass response, and very comfortable. Got them new for about $90.

I'd suggest checking out the Cafe Walter website. He only recommends phones within certain impedance and sensitivity ranges for use with the amp, and at least a few popular models don't fall into those ranges. They won't blow it up, but audible hiss and distortion are more likely.

8. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    beyerdynamic DT770! love 'em.
    http://[malware url removed].net/vicious-smiley-1815.gif

9. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I use the earbuds from my iPod.

10. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Found a good deal on Sennheiser HD650.

Are these as good as people claim?

11. Old school

Old school

Oct 30, 2004
    I have used both the Shure E4 and the M-Audio IE20XB ear buds with my Cafe Walter. Both are great buds and really show the fidelity of the CW. The M-Audio IE20XBs can be found for under $150.00. I use this rig on stage, running my bass thru one input and my moniter mix for the rest of the band thru the other input on the CW. I take the output to a DI to FOH and to a stage amp. I can't say enough about this setup.

12. Some good info, frequency response charts and ratings can be found at: http://www.headphone.com/

I ended up with the Sennheiser EH 350, fairly flat response and they are light enough to use with a portable music player.

Joe

13. Grado SR 60s are great (i have the SR 80s, they have better bass response which would be good for what you would use it for).

14. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    My thoughts exactly.

These double as superb audio headphones as well, just extraordinarily good for the money, as long as you're not after an artificially boosted bass sound. Perfect practice phones with the CW because you hear EVERYTHING you play.

15. Kalle_in_Sweden

Kalle_in_Sweden

Jul 10, 2007
    I like my Sennheiser HD 200 Master as they are closed and have very good bass response with a straigth frequency response overall. The price is also moderate.
    One other good thing with Sennheiser is that you can get spareparts (i.e. cables, buds) for many years (>20).
    /Kalle

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have sennheiser hd 477's right now because i already owned them and they get the job done. if i ever came into a lot of money i wouldnt mind getting slightly better sennheisers but it isnt necessary.

17. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Here's the recommended impedance from CW:

* < 16 ohms: Danger! At high volumes, the output transistors may overheat and suffer damage.
    * 16 &#8212; 30 ohms: Not recommended. Distortion will be somewhat higher (but still probably below the audible threshold) and batteries will drain faster.
    * 30 &#8212; 50 ohms: Battery life will be slightly shorter than with higher-impedance headphones.
    * 50 &#8212; 300 ohms: Ahhhh. Delight. All is well.
    * 300 &#8212; 450 ohms: As impedance increases, distortion at normal volumes becomes vanishingly small, but headroom also decreases.
    * > 450 ohms: not ideal The HA-1A may not be able to drive headphones in this range, such as the AKG K240DF, to their full rated power. These headphones require higher voltages than batteries can provide.

And all Grado products seem to be 36 ohms so they are outside the "sweet spot" of the CW.