1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Headphones for College Dorm

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by SynysterSaint, Oct 5, 2009.

1. SynysterSaint

SynysterSaint

Oct 5, 2009
    I recently moved up to college and I, thankfully, am allowed to have my bass here (nothing fancy, just a Peavey Millennium BXP 5-string). Between 10AM and 11PM or so I'm allowed to play undisturbed, but I cannot get to my room until around 11 at night so I do most of my jamming at night. To make up for this, I bought a jack input to convert from an amp input to a 3.5mm jack. But, unfortunately, my Skullcrushers just blew out on me, and I'm looking to buy a new pair of headphones to jam with.

So far, my top two choices are: the Pioneer HDJ-1000 and the Technics RP-DH1200. I realize these are DJ headphones but they seem to have the best frequency and decibel range for the price. Is there anything you would suggest I look at? I started a band with a few friends up here and it's imperative that I get a good pair for the best price (being a near-broke college student). I also need them to be fairly durable to last a fair amount of time.

Thank you for any help you can give!

2. Lexicon

Lexicon

Feb 24, 2009
  3. SynysterSaint

SynysterSaint

Oct 5, 2009
    Thank you for the recommendation! I just looked up a few reviews on the Audio-Technica ATH-D40fs and it seems like people are split down the middle on whether the bass produced is a high-quality studio sound or a low-quality bass sound. By that, I mean that the headphones seem good for those with a keen ear who can hear the bass, but I'm also looking for the ability to feel the bass pumping into my headset. Are these headphones good for that, in your opinion?

I probably should have mentioned that I'm a metalhead and am interested in a very heavy, low bass sound.

4. They might be outside your price range (maybe the parents owe you a getting in to college/university present, have them split the bill ;)) but you should definitely check the Sony 7509HD. They're a bit bass-heavy but I think that's what you're looking for.

5. SynysterSaint

SynysterSaint

Oct 5, 2009
    I was just looking at the Sony Pro MDR-7506, actually. The 7509's seem very nice (I especially like the frequency range and 50.0mm speakers), but I don't have quite that much money. What are your opinions about the 7506's? Every review I've read so far and every headphone thread on this forum comes down to the consensus that these seem to be the best for practice or monitoring. My only concern is whether the bass would be heavy enough for bands such as DevilDriver or Five Finger Death Punch. Does anyone have a pair of 7506's that would be willing to comment?

6. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Based on my experience doing the exact same thing: Don't spend crazy money on this. Get some decent comfortable headphones in the $30-$50 range and you'll be fine. You don't need studio-monitor quality phones for practice or learning - and if you trash them / they get ripped, you're only out $30-$50.

7. Lexicon

Lexicon

Feb 24, 2009
    I probably can't speak to it the audiophile manner you're asking about. I was previously using a less expensive pair of headphones for my Vdrums and bass and the Audio-Technicas were recommended to me as a low(er) cost bass-enhanced headphone. I have a friend who has the standard version ATH-M40fs and he has used them in many different situations with excellent results. I feel they represent the sound of the drums as well as the bass very well. If you're an audiophile you may want to have a listen before buying.

8. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I like my Sennheiser HD-280 phones and use them everyday for playing bass with great results.

9. SynysterSaint

SynysterSaint

Oct 5, 2009
    Along with the type of music I listen to and (attempt to) write, I also have a side-project worked out with a few friends who I DJ with. We are all amateur hardstyle (techno with a heavy bass drum kick) DJ's and I need fairly high-quality headphones to ensure our FLAC files (those are all we export songs in) are the best quality as possible. Not to mention my last pair of headphones in that price-range blew out as soon as I started throwing my bass through them (like I said, a heavy bass sound is a must, and I find that all the previous headphones I've had in that price-range have all blown out on me as well whenever I tried to get a bass sound that I wanted).

I know, I'm very picky and I very much appreciate you all for having patience with me! Basically I'm trying to find high-quality headphones that won't completely kill my wallet; as in, I'm trying to have my cake and eat it, too. I think it'll work, I just need a bit of help to figure out how to do it!

10. SynysterSaint

SynysterSaint

Oct 5, 2009
    I don't know if I'd label myself an "audiophile" exactly, but I do take great pride in high-quality, studio-authentic sound. I don't need to hear everything perfectly, but it would be a nice bonus ;)

11. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    Grado Labs makes very nice headphones. I use the sr 60 with my old bass rockman.

12. Lexicon

Lexicon

Feb 24, 2009
    As I said, I play both the bass and Vdrums through my Audio-Technicas and everything from the highs down to the lows sound good to me. My Vdrum unit has all sorts of electronic drum sounds and the crazy booming of the 808 bass drum sounds great. I'm sure there are other headphones of similar price and more expensive ones that sound as good. I can only speak to these.

Vdrums players are pretty crazy about headphones because so much time is spent playing while wearing them. Check out the following thread for a pretty good dicussion of headphones. A ton of different models are discussed.

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22683

13. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
  14. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    This is a good resource for evaluating different headphones:
    http://www.headphone.com/technical/product-measurements/

I wouldn't place weight on manufacturers' published specs.

15. SynysterSaint

SynysterSaint

Oct 5, 2009
    Thank you guys for all the great suggestions! After listening to what everyone said and looking through a few similar threads and forums, I finally decided on the Sony MDR-7506's. They seemed to be the best quality for the price and were highly praised by everyone whose owned a pair.