1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Headphones for practice

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by 3rdBass, May 3, 2018.

1. 3rdBass

3rdBass Funk in A Supporting Member

Hope this is the proper forum to receive a qualified answer. I purchased a set of Blue brand "Lola" headphones for private practicing. (Really high quality headphones, especially for bass). I've used other headphones through GK, Mesa and GB amps with headphone outputs.
    Currently my 2 main amps are a Markbass 2x10 combo and a LMIII tube head. Neither of these have a headphone output. Only (2) speakers (speakon/ 1/4", tuner, FX send & return and an XLR line out. Which would be the proper output (if any) to plug in headphones ?
    Thanks to all in advance for your replies and advice.

- GiL

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    FX send or tuner outs might work ok, should at least be harmless. Speaker outs would likely blow the headphones and/or your eardrums.

3rdBass likes this.
  3. 3rdBass

Thanks, was thinking the same but would the levels be adjustable on the tuner or FX outputs ?

4. The first note you play through the headphones via the speaker outputs will be the last sound the headphones will ever make.

bholder likes this.
  5. 3rdBass

With a D class amp, such as a Markbass LMIII tube that has only a preamp tube, is it safe to run it without a (speaker) load for headphones ?

6. Since the output section is solid state, it can be run without a speaker load.

3rdBass likes this.
  7. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Check you owner's manual. Definitely maybe.

3rdBass likes this.
  8. 3rdBass

10-Q, gentlemen !