Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Headphones for Practice

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by groovit, Mar 18, 2005.

1. groovit

groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    Yes I've done a search, but couldn't find anything directly related to what I am looking for....If I missed a thread, I apologize, please point me to it...

I'm looking to pick up a set of headphones. These would be used mostly for picking up bass lines off of tunes, but also for playing keyboard through, and eventually some mixing. They need to have sound isolation, but not an unnatural amount, enough that I can cut drum sound way down, as drums are typically playing when I am listening. Obviously, I want something that will be pretty comfortable. Price range, I'm looking to spend no more than 100-150...

TIA

2. cabooke

cabooke

Jan 26, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    Sony MDR-7506. $99.99 everywhere you look. The best headphones for the amount that I have tried.

3. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    +1

Only phones I'll use in the studio.

4. groovit

groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    Cool, thanks for the advice...

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    If you want isolation, you need closed cans.
    You can go for the Sony MDR-V6, also named -7506, but it is very bright.

The Beyerdynamic DT 770 is closed, and has very-very strong bass. Almost a bit too much, even. Look for its 80 Ohm version if you don't want to buy a headphone amp, as well.
    Beyer DT 660
    Sennheiser HD 25, HD 280
    AKG K 271.
    All these are closed cans and are considered to be good.

There is a thread in the FAQ stickied at the top.

6. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Another vote for Beyer, I have the DT150 closed can model and love it. Would love to try out the 770 and 990 as well. I tried Senh, Senh wasn't very natural to me, Grado was killer, but very uncomfortable and Beyer was perfect very comfy and accurate.

Cheers.

7. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    Sennheiser HD280 Pro

8. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Sennheiser HD280 Pro's:
    -Very good isolation.
    -A little tight but you get used to them quick enough.
    -Sounded good to me when new, but mellowed out and sounded a lot better after breaking in the drivers.
    -I don't care much for the short coiled cord.
    -They Fold up nicely for compact fit into accessory bag.