Headphones for studio bass and keys

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG]' started by IamGroot, Aug 28, 2018.

1. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    My good set has gone awol. Looking for high quality and reaonable sound block.

2. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
  3. TheMaartian

TheMaartian Always forward. Never straight.

Sep 23, 2014
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I love my Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro headphones. Since you're looking for more sound block, I'd highly recommend giving the DT 770 Pro phones a chance. Very comfortable to wear for longer sessions. They go for about $180. The 770s come in three specs: 32, 80 and 250 ohms. If you're going to drive them from a powered headphone port (like on an audio interface), get the 250. If you'll also want to use it on a smartphone or tablet, get the 80.

https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/dt-770-pro.html

I also have a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro cans. Very good audio quality; just not as comfortable as the Beyer's.

4. kutkut

kutkut

Oct 4, 2011
    Sennheiser hd-25

5. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Thanks for your suggestions.

I went to GC and narrowed it down to the Beyerdynamic DT 770 and the yamaha hph mt7.
    The display had these two headphones playing different music so I couldnt A/B them. Asked the salesperson for help but he couldnt be bothered.

I just ordered the Beyerdynamic DT 770 80 ohm from Amazon.

6. TheMaartian

TheMaartian Always forward. Never straight.

Sep 23, 2014
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Cool! Let us know how the sound isolation is. TIA.

7. barrybass33

barrybass33 Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2008
    westchester new york.
    Phil jones headphones are very good...

8. I have a pair of HiFiMan HE-400, but I mainly use them for listening to vinyl. Might sell them for something else, so I'll be subbing to this thread.

9. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    REAL Happy with my Audio‑Technica ATH‑M50 cans. Way happier than I was with my Sony MDR 7506's. For the price, they sound great, have excellent bass response, and are very comfy.

10. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    My BD DT 770s arrived today as promised.

First impression: What i expected. Sounds great but not as good as the Sonys I lost (MD Z7). I A/B d on my Smart Phone against my old Sony MDR 7506 and actually thought the Sony was clearer. But cell phones are not a good test. Reasonable sound isolation, but not a big improment over the Sony. Will AB on keys on Tuesday.

I dont have any soundstage jobs on the horizon, which will be the real test.

Recommendation: Try to A/B your top choices before you buy. If the sales lackey doesnt cooperate, get the manager.

11. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Sony MDR7506

heynorm, ak56 and trothwell like this.
  12. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory
    Don't have a ton of experience with high quality/audiophile headphones and monitors, but I own the AKG 553MKII's and they're wonderful. Very flat, no boosts anywhere in the sound, relatively lightweight and comfy.

My main gripe with them is that the head band is a little weak. It doesn't squeeze the ear pads onto your head very tightly, leaving some air and diminishing sound volume/quality. I sometimes push the ear pads on harder, and for monitoring or reviewing, it works fine. But for casual listening, there are better options.

13. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    The thing about the Sony MDR7506 is:
    * They sound decent
    * Other than the difficult to replace cord, they are VERY durable
    * Used in many studios for the players on a session

IamGroot and ak56 like this.
  14. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    My Sony MDR 7506 are about 15 years old and going strong. And $70 cheaper than my DBs.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021