1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Headphones that I can play and listen to at the same time?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by (b)Assman, Jul 19, 2008.

1. (b)Assman

(b)Assman

Jun 22, 2008
    Champaign, IL
    Is this possible? Like a pair of headphones with 2 audio jacks or can I try a splicer? I'm about to deploy here and I'm hauling a buncha bass gear with me and need an awesome pair of headphones to play/listen to music at the same time with.

Help appreciated.

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    What you need is a "headphone amp". There are a bunch out there, at a wide range of prices. Some of the best are the Cafe Walter, Phil Jones Bass Buddy, and Summit TD-100, and I saw a used Cafe Walter in the TB classifieds just recently.

Please don't imagine it's anything to do with altered headphones.

3. (b)Assman

(b)Assman

Jun 22, 2008
    Champaign, IL
    ok cool thanks

4. (b)Assman

(b)Assman

Jun 22, 2008
    Champaign, IL
  5. (b)Assman

(b)Assman

Jun 22, 2008
    Champaign, IL
    Do I need that? I have a pre-amp on my pedalboard...

6. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That Behr unit would not work, it only has an input for a microphone. You need one that has an instrument input, that's where you'd plug your bass and pedals. The word "preamp" is used a lot of different ways, so saying there's a "preamp" on your pedalboard doesn't tell me whether you can plug headphones into it or anything else.

Look for one that has an instrument input, a stereo input for your MP3 player (or Walkman or whatever), and a headphone jack. Don't make any assumptions- if it doesn't specifically say headphone jack for example, don't assume or wonder if headphones can be plugged in. They label these things really obviously and clearly.

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    A small cheap mixer makes a great headphone amp. Plus you can expand it later.

8. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
  9. (b)Assman

(b)Assman

Jun 22, 2008
    Champaign, IL
    Ok thanks

Was having a hard time finding one. :p

10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Wow, that does look pretty cool. :bassist:

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021