1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Headphones vs live sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ozrider, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Does anyone have a bass that sounds great through a set of headphones (I plug in to a cheap busker amp with flat eq) but sounds too warm or even farty played live? Prob a dumb question but my ampeg 410hlf and markbass amp just produce an ugly sound from my pbass without dropping out the mids with a parametric eq around 300hz :meh: are the headphones auto dropping out the mids via their design?

2. shamus63

shamus63

Dec 17, 2005
    San Mateo, CA
    That combo may be the real culprit.

3. You have a cab issue, not a head or headphone issue IMO. That 410HLF is very dark and upper bass/low mid present.

Your headphones aren't dropping it out, the cab is adding it in. The MB heads (depending on the model) are quite even and relatively transparent sounding IMO.

However, that's, in part, what EQ is for. Don't be afraid to use it to get the tone that you like!

4. Thanks fellas, I think you are right. Its probably the cab. I remember buying it with my active stingray in mind for a loud rock band. Things have changed and am playing more r&b and funk. Just felt something was wrong having to eq my p bass.. can think of it as eq'ing my cab instead :)

5. Edit: I posted in the wrong thread.

6. sean.1986

sean.1986

Feb 24, 2009
    Essex, England
    If something sounds farty, then it's most likely clipping distortion from overdriving a solid state amplifier.