Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Headphones with a Preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phyrexian, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Hi,

this might be a silly question, but I was just wandering...

Is it possible to play on a preamp with headphones, even if that specific preamp doesn't have a particular headphones jack? (Ampeg SVP-Pro for example)

Would one hear a sound when you plug a headphones into the output of a preamp?

thanks,

Bart

2. Anyone,

what about the tuner-out jack,
    it must give a signal?

No?

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    The signal from the SVP-Pro pre is very very low. You can get an audible sound from the tuner-out, effects send, or even the line outs. However, it will be mono and very very very faint. You'll have to push the gain and master like all the way up and you'll still hardly hear it, plus it will be very distorted. It is probably not a good thing to do. You'll be able to hear the bass acoustically over the signal anyway.

Options...get a set of self-powered headphones and hook in to the pre out, get a practice amp like the Cafe Walter (@BassNW) or SansAmp or Rockman or Fodera..., or run the out from your amp if you have 1/4" jacks. It will not be a stereo signal in that case. My amp doesn't have that available.

Not a stupid question though. I actually tried it the other night in an effort to avoid taking my Hartke Kickback 12 (which has a headphone jack) down 2 flights of stairs. I ended up doing just that though...;)

4. Thanks,

I was wondering if I'd save money to get me a preamp and use it for practice as well OR getting me a practice amp (which I think will be the better decision cause I ain't playing bass in a band) like a small Behringer, Fender or Peavey...

What do self-powered headphones cost? Will the sound be good when plugged in the output jacks of the preamp?

5. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Phyrexian
    I've never tried powered headphones, but I've tried all the other headphone options.

- For around $200 you can get the Raven Labs PHA-1 headphone amp. It's clean and has several nice options. It comes with good headphones.

- You could use the PHA-1 to connect headphones to almost any preamp/amp.

- If you buy a practice amp with a headphone output, invest in a good set of headphones.

6. Nice!!!

I didn't know about headphone amps at all...
    I'll think about it...
    most likely I'll get a practice amp, then in the future my preamp with headphone amp, and then later on a poweramp and cab (if I'm in a band as bassplayer; now I'm doin' guitars in a heavy stonerrockband).

I now own a good Sennheiser headphone which sounds quite good!

7. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    I got myself a cheap little behringer mixer for that.