1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Headphones

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gyfte, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Gyfte

Gyfte

Nov 3, 2013
    kortrijk belgium
    Im thinking to buy new headphones.

What Brands/types are good for Max 200€

My amp is a H&K 300
    Or im willing to buy the vox amplug bass / amphone as well.

What combo would you reccomend?

2. Depends if you want inears, noise cancelling, ambient, circumaural etc etc... Narrow it down to what you want physically then look at that market of cans. Me: Audio Technika m40fs.

3. Beyer dynamic DT-990 pro... Superlative !

4. Gyfte

Gyfte

Nov 3, 2013
    kortrijk belgium
    Over the ear headphones is what im looking for.

5. Gyfte

Gyfte

Nov 3, 2013
    kortrijk belgium
    Its to practice at home mostly

6. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I use Grado SR-80.

7. Over ear cans for practice and laying tracks? For me it's Sony 7506. Very common for those uses, inexpensive, fairly rugged, and you can hear everything a bassist needs to hear. Though they are not for mixing a important project.

8. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Although I have a pair of expensive AKG K240 Studio Monitor headphones, I like my very inexpensive audio-technica ATM-M30's much better. Better sound straight across the board, and much better bass response. Louder too if that matters.

9. That is what I use, and they are amazing. However, the OP should realize they are high impedance designs, which means they need a relatively high quality headphone preamp (I use the Café Walter with mine) to power them to decent volume levels. They won't work with a computer or iPod type signal source.

10. Catbuster

Catbuster Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    Senheiser HD280 pro are inexpensive and work just fine

11. Martin89

Martin89

Nov 8, 2010
    Glendale, AZ
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    I use some cheapy 2XL's(Skull Candy) I got on clearance for $7. I think the model is Shadow, but they work well for practice out of the Zoom B3. About same specs and quality as the $45 AKG's I had.

12. Keep in mind there are two basic types. Open backed and closed backed.

13. dune2k

dune2k

Sep 26, 2009
    Germany
    I use those as well, nice headphones for the price.

14. These are both very commonly seen in the world of professional live sound engineers. Not boutique-grade, just ubiquitous because they're durable, predictable, and easily replaceable.

15. Gyfte

Gyfte

Nov 3, 2013
    kortrijk belgium
    What should you pick

sennheisser HD260 pro + amplug bass 147€
    Sony 7506 + amplug 156€
    amphone bass 98€

16. They come in 600 and 250 ohm flavours... The most common sold online are the 250's which should be fine, but thanks for pointing that out...

The 770 pros are closed design, sound almost identical and are perfect for tracking, group recording (good isolation) etc... but can get claustrophobic if you are practising or listening for long periods ;)

17. Gyfte

Gyfte

Nov 3, 2013
    kortrijk belgium
    I ordered the sennheiser 280 pro and amplug
    Ill have it tomorrow or wednesday
    Ill post my findings then.
    Thx for the responses!

18. Gyfte

Gyfte

Nov 3, 2013
    kortrijk belgium
    The sennheiser arrived yesterday.
    The sound is awsome. Maybe a bit thight on the head/ears.

19. bpa11

bpa11

Feb 9, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    You're going to get a variety of suggestions. Headphones are highly subjective -- tonal range/balance, sound stage, comfort, and durability.

It comes down to trying a number of them as they vary widely. For me, the Beyerdymanic 770 Pro 80 ohm works very well, especially with my Cafe Walter. Perfect for practicing as well as critical listening. But that's just me. You might try them and come away with a less favorable impression.

20. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Yeah, I have SR60s and Sennheiser HD280 Pro cans, and the Grado's are better sounding, and WAY better for practicing bass thru...

- georgestrings