1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Headphones

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jgsbass, Oct 20, 2003.

1. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    The HD-600s and 650s are refinements of the old HD-580 design. And those HD-580s show up on occasion for barely over $100 (I paid $109 in a uBid.com auction).

If you can track down a discounted pair of HD-580's, it's like getting 95% of the HD-650 for less than 50% of the price.

2. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Thanks, BigDog. I have to 'fess up here. I wrote my previous post at work, and got the 280 and 580 mixed up. I meant that I have the HD 580, and I agree with everything you said. The HD 580s are the nuts. You can still buy them new for $199 several places, and like you said, less if you are a good shopper.

3. Grado Labs SR60
    They're open back, but for my purposes, most everything is recorded direct.

4. hi,

i have very tight budget, and i saw behringer hpm1000 on the internet for just $14, has anyone tried this headphone before???
    i have $10 - $25 budget, anyone has a suggestion????
    until now my options are:
    1. behringer hpm1000 $14
    2. Labtec 840 about $18

anybody has other suggestion???
    i'm not a pro , but i want to have a decent headphone for the budget.

thanx before guys... :D

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I purchased a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs. I haven't had them that long, but no complaints so far. I use them mainly for practice.

One of the selling points is that all the parts can be replaced. About $100 US.

6. +1

7. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Both of those, frankly, are not so good.....

I see you're in Indonesia, and I'm not sure what is available to you in your location.... but the two that come to my mind on THAT tight of a budget are Sennheiser MX-500 earbuds (about $15 US), or *sometimes* you can catch a Web deal on Koss Porta Pros that drops them into the $25 - $30 US range....

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Which one?
    K240, K240M, K240DF, K240S? Except for the -S, all are 600 Ohms; the 240S is 55 Ohms. For 600 Ohms, you need a good headphone amplifier, otherwise they will sound weak, thin, bassless and quiet.
    The HD-580 are very nice cans, still, you went right with that.

Some can's graphs can be found here:
    http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?topicID=3&subTopicID=26

9. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    I was referring to the old K240, which became the K240M. The K240DF is very similar except for the diffuse field equalization, which only effects the high frequencies. I have never heard of a K240S, but when I wrote K240s, it was a plural, not a model designation.

Like you said, all the K240, M, and DF, are high impedence. And so are the HD580. For critical listening, the Sennheiser HD580 is far superior in my direct experience.

10. geshel

geshel Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    The HD580s are awesome.

IME, it's been a while but Sonys tend to be too aggressive sounding.

I might have to pick up some of those Koss The Plugs for recording. The 580s are open and bleed through to the mic a little bit.

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    +1! I got a pair of these, and I'm a bit of an audiophile, especially headphones, and nothing beats them in the price range. IMO.

Ray

12. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I've had a pair of HD-280's for a couple years now, I dig 'em.

13. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I just got a pair of AKG 271's ($180) about a month ago and I love them. They're sealed, so they can be used both for recording and monitoring/mixing. If you don't need to record with them, check out the 240S (~$100). I've also heard the Sennheiser 280 Pro is supposed to be good, especially for the money (~$100).

14. lovejazz

lovejazz

Oct 3, 2008
    Hi,
    I got interface Echo Audiofire 2. I use it for practising etc. But i really don't know what headphones should I buy? I want really good sound of my bass and good price( best to 220 USD)... DO you have any ideas??

THANKS A LOT !!!

Peace :hyper:

15. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
  16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
  17. MooseLumps

MooseLumps

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    Sony mdr-v6's . I love these things. Bought Beyerdynamic replacement pads for em. Velour happiness ;-). I use 'em at the Lionel Hampton School of Music @ the University Of Idaho to record all the recitals(they provide AKG 501's, but the open-back design makes my job harder). They have a somewhat pronounced top end, so cranking the volume Isn't reccomended, but they have such definition and punch for ~$100 headphones. Sidenote, they are almost identical to the Sony 7506's, just cheaper.

I got these instead of the Seinheizer HD 280 pro's because they were cheaper and IMHO
    more accurate. If I had the money I would climb the ladder for sure, but would keep these babies for second opinion phones, especially if I'm trying to track down a rouge distortion.

18. I have been using beyer-dynamic DT-770.

Most flat, true responsive phone I heard, it's really good.

19. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
  20. Sony MDR-7506 for the budget-minded (like me), killer recording cans, and great for practice too. If you wanna go a bit higher end, can't really beat the Beyer DT-770 Pro's.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021