1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Headphones

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Paul Dwyer, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Paul Dwyer

Paul Dwyer

Jul 31, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    Hi,
    I'm looking for recommendations on some good can style headphones for detailed listening/transcribing. Clear bass not too fat & compressed. Anyone here using the Grados? What are some of your favourite cans?
    Thanks very much,
    Paul

2. Wireless is a good way to go. Just don't get a panasonic. Theres too much noise and they shut off after 30 seconds of silence.

3. neal davis

neal davis

Dec 29, 2006
    toronto canada
    the grados are great I'm searching for mine right now since I've just moved and they are in a box, I'll get the model for you soon but great balanced headphone.

edit: just found them, they are model RS1

4. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    I like the AKG K240 as they're light-weight, open (you can hear the phone and doorbell), fairly flat response and less expensive than a lot of comparable sounding studio quality cans.

5. The Grado SR60 model is a great value, as long as you don't care about isolation.

6. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Do the Grados bleed out (other people can hear your music) too?

7. Reuben

Reuben

Aug 8, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yes, the Grados are nice, but the bleed is significant. I have the SR-80s and they're pretty cool.

I really like the Sennheiser headphones like the HD580. A little less hyped highs and very comfortable. Warm lows.

8. neal davis

neal davis

Dec 29, 2006
    toronto canada
    what I've noticed about the grados which is nice with the bleed, if you are really trying to notice a little nuance that is buried in the recording cup your hands around the cans and it jumps out a bit more to you since the low freq are coming from the outside of the headphone, you can even hear the really good edits that van gelder did alot easier on so many blue note recordings even easier like this

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Sony 7506 and/or V600. I don't go home without 'em.

10. D McCartney

D McCartney crosswind downwind bass

Aug 1, 2005
    Tacoma WA
    +1 on the 7506

11. Paul Dwyer

Paul Dwyer

Jul 31, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    Thanks for the replies everybody.
    Yeah Neal, I found some good literature on the RS1 and 2 models on goodcans.com. They sound very interesting.

12. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    beyerdynamic DT770 is my favorite pair. lightweight, very comfortable, and perfect detail. they sound a little sweeter than most headphones i've heard.

13. dvmweb

dvmweb

Apr 20, 2002
    Atlanta MI 49709
    I just got a set of the Bose QC3 headphones on a trip to Minneapolis while visiting my son. Pricey, $350, but these things are great. Really cut down on ambient noise, 70db advertised, very significantly. And, the wound is great on my Radio Shack portable radio or iPod. I use them just about everyday to "be by my self".

Walt MI/USA

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021