1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Headphones

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by tgriley62, May 16, 2011.

1. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    As a new bass player can someone suggest a good pair of headphones (under $100) to use. I live in an apartment so I do not get to play without headphones a lot

Thanks

2. phillips makes a really good set of earbuds for about 20 bucks that has bass quality that i haven't been able to find in most headphones. I know the link says 30 but you can find them at walmart or target for less.

Official Philips Online Shop US - In-Ear Headphones

3. Sony MDR-V150 for about $20. These sit on the ears (not over like the bigger headphones).

4. greggster59

greggster59

Oct 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    Grado Labs SRi60 ($80) have incredible bass response. One of the best headphone manufacturers you will find.

5. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I have my eyes on MDR-7506. I used them recently to mix a demo. I don't have the master yet but I will show you when I get the tracks. They sound great! They are very true to what you are working on especially for the price. You can get them on ebay for 40 dollars.

6. Neon Scribe

Neon Scribe Supporting Member

Every ear is different, so what works for me may not work for you. There are several factors at play in headphone preference.

-- High frequency response. Do you hear the sparkle and sizzle in recordings and the elusive "air" around the instruments? This is where the more expensive headphones tend to show their quality.

-- Low frequency response. Since headphones don't provide the physical feedback of in-room reproduction, many people like to boost the bass output. Earbuds rarely provide satisfying bass reproduction. You can get excellent bass response from canal phones, the kind that push all the way into your ear, but you may have to experiment with different tips to find comfort and sound quality. Large earmuff type headphones tend to provide the most solid bass, but the lighter-weight open-back phones can be quite good.

-- Comfort. Earbuds are comfortable for most people, but they just fall out of my ears. I've never gotten satisfactory bass response from them. Canal phones can sound great, but only if they are shoved securely into your ears. They tend to irritate my ear canals after a while. Large over-the-ear phones are OK for the short term, but they can get a little warm after a while. Open-air phones are about the most comfortable for long-term use.

-- Sound isolation. This works both ways. How much external sound do you hear in a noisy environment and how much of your audio leaks out so others can hear in a quiet environment. The latter is usually only significant in a library or a shared workspace. Open-air phones leak sound in both directions. Closed-back phones are pretty good except in very loud environments such as airplanes. Canal phones give excellent isolation in both directions.

-- Durability. Some headphones are flimsy, others are built to last. The biggest problem area is usually where the wires meet the earpieces or the connectors.

For open-air phones, I like the Sennheiser PX-100 II, which you can find online for about $50. For canal phones I like the Etymotic hf2 or hf5, around $100. For over-the-ear closed phones, I like the Sennheiser HD 280, around $90.

It's worth pointing out that headphone outputs tend to be pretty underpowered. A headphone amplifier can make a big difference in volume and overall quality. Unfortunately, a decent headphone amplifier will probably run around $100 or more.

7. Bollenator

Bollenator The Ersatz Haderach

Jun 2, 2010
    Western Washington
    I have the older SR60s and love them to death.

8. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I have heard only good things about the Grados. I have also had a very good experience with my Sennheiser HD280 cans.

9. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    +1
    Great headphones, I use this too :)

10. I have the same and love their sound, but their foam's texture irritates my ears.
    I may be the exception regarding skin sensitivity, as I can't wear a watch or jewelry, and must remove all labels and tags from the interior of shirts.

11. ergbass

ergbass

Nov 26, 2010
    Argentina
  12. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    It is actually kind of funny that you mention these. Because I bought them and I was using them for the demo that I mentioned earlier.

Between the MDR-V150 and the MDR-7506... Well I basically would only use the V150 for listening. It colors the mix with waaayy too much low end and doesn't give an accurate representation of what is going on.

With luck you may be able to do something with the V150's. But hey you get what you pay for right? 20 bucks sounds awesome to me to listen to Cryptopsy while I am jogging.

However, for 20 extra dollars you can get a pair of headphones that give a very crisp representation of what is going on in the mix.

Lets just say that I was having a hell of a time mixing the bass to be audible with the kick just as present with the V150's. And it took about 10 minutes with to get something decent with the 7506's.

Not trying to troll. I just don't want to see anyone potentially wasting money on a bad experience if it can be prevented.

13. i like my mdr-v150's ... use them for practice daily for a year now

all my gear is budget and cheap but it works sufficient ... for just practice... this is about as cheap as you want to go. I like the way they makes music sound. I'm a bass player afterall... i like those lows boosted a lil.

I know the thread is old ... but there are frequently questions about these... they aren't bad for the price ... you won't find a better set for 20bucks.

Grado's are great... my sister has some ... she won't part with them... i lust for them. If i had a 100 bucks to spend on headphones ... S60's would be what id choose.

14. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir... Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    For under $100 you can get many headphones. My top 2 are the AKG K240 and Sony MDR-7506.

I also found a really good website that will compare "their" headphone frequency responses.

Click on the Frequency chart, then it lets you compare up to 4 headphones at once. Very cool. Enjoy!

AKG K 240 MK II - Full Size Headphones | HeadRoom Audio

15. Papa Dangerous

Papa Dangerous

Feb 1, 2011
    I literally just google searched how to buy good headphones, and then seen this thread. The general consensus was that headphones starting at $50 bucks are when they really start to have quality. Grado was mentioned as one of the best with headphones from $80 - 7,000. I would love to listen to Pink Floyd on $7,000 headphones.

16. 1kinal

1kinal

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    Beware that the 7506's on ebay are fake copies. They feel and sound nowhere near real 7506's. I ordered a pair to try and a/b them to my pair which I bought in the store. That's exactly why they cost $40. On pictures they look the same but when you hold it in your hands you feel how cheap they are.

So make sure to buy your pair from a reputable seller. That said, they are my favorite headphones, highly recommended!

17. About 5 years ago, I bought a pair of American Audio headphones at Guitar Center for around $70. I playe through them whenever I practice. They have held up very well.

18. aqsw

aqsw

May 28, 2006
    For excellent bass response, I like the the Shure 750 DJ at about $130.00 or the Audio Technica M50 at about $100.00. Both excellent over the ear (closed) cans.

I own some Grado SR80s too, but they don't have the bass and they are over the ear. They can be heard by everybody in the room.(I don't like them)

The Sennheiser px 100 line are the cheaper line (over the ear). They actually sound decent but are very flimsy and usually break within a couple of months. My two pair did anyways.

The Shure is the way to go in my opinion.

19. I've heard nothing but good things about the Grado SR601 which are around $70. The SR80s are a better headphone but you'd need a headphone amp to appreciate it over the 60s I believe.

I generally use in ear headphones for sound isolation and have Shure 300 series and a pair of Monster Turbine Coppers which sound huge for IEMs but I don't think they give you the overall "experience" real over ear headphones can

I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD202 headphones and really like them. I can't articulate on exactly what I like about them but I can generally say I don't find them lacking in any department. They sound good without an amp, the lows are good but not overpowering and the highs are clean and articulate. I got these for $30 when I was a poor college student.

My nice pair of headphones are Denon AH-D2000 which are pretty darn great. The lows are more defined and go a bit deeper without being boomy which I hate, I can hear more definition between instruments and the highs are very clear without being harsh. They also cost about 10x more than the Sennheisers and, honestly, the difference isn't as appreciable with the output of an iPod or computer. If you use a headphone amp the Denon would easily overtake the Sennheiser.

Sennheiser HD202 would get a +1 for me but there are tons of good cans out there

20. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    don't buy anything "high quality eletronics" from a chinese vendor