Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

headroom- tell me.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by coloradok1d, Mar 20, 2003.

1. coloradok1d

coloradok1d Guest

Mar 10, 2003
    I've been talking to tons of people. Some like double the amp rms to speaker rms. some like same. some like half. I have no idea. I think more is better, I order extra large just cause it's 20 cents more, but seriously is there some "rule" that I should go by. Does speaker efficency effect head room needs? I'm thinking of building a rig and have no idea. help...please.

2. Do a search on 'headroom' please. There are a few good threads that explain the concept of 'headroom' quite perfectly... I'm sure those threas will help you out.

3. Like you post says, there are a lot of different ideas about how much power to cab ratio you should use. I use a PLX1202 that is 600 watts at 8 ohms bridged and I run it into a Hartke 4.5XL that is rated at 400 watts and 8 ohms. It will play much louder than I ever need when I play out so I'm happy with it. A lot of people are worried about blowing speakers by using an amp that is too big for their cab. My biggest concern is not that I will be playing too loud but that something electrical or mechanical will cause the amp to output its full power for a sustained amount of time. For this reason run an inline compressor and keep my pre-amp set pretty hot with the power-amp volume turned down. As far as a hard and fast rule, I don't think there really is one. Like Bob Lee quotes "If it sounds good, it is good"