Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Metallkasten, Apr 23, 2003.

1. I have searched several times but never found a good answer, what exactly is headroom?
  2. Head room means clean undistorted power over and above what you are using. I use a PLX1202 that puts out about 700 watts into 8 ohms. I play it through a Hartke 4.5XL Most of the time it is operating at -20 db with peaks at -10 db and has never clipped to my knowledge. So when I'm playing as loud as I ever need I still have another 4 or 5 db of HEAD ROOM.
  3. The reason I ask is because there is a sonic maximizer that adds about 15 Db (mabey 17) of headroom
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I run 1500 watts into a 4x10 cab rated at 700 watts. I definitely don't need 1500 watts, but having that extra power means I have plenty of headroom, which as stated above means that no matter how I EQ my system, no matter how hard I might slap or thump, I'm never going to hear a stitch of distortion from my power amp. That makes a happy bassplayer outta me!
  5. I think that they are talking about precieved loudness. So you hook up this little box and your amp is going to sound 15 to 17 db louder with the same power. Thus you have to turn it down to achieve the same volume you had before creating the extended headroom. Beware of any device that makes such outrages claims. I'm not saying it isn't true, I'm just saying don't believe everything you read....;)
  6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I am headroom...MMMMM Maxx xx x x H Headroom m m.

My amp's rated at 2400w. I run it stereo 750w on a 4ohm channel and 500w on an 8ohm channel.

I'll never need that power for what I do. But my signal is crystal clear, so it's worth the weight.

I just saw the QSC RMX 4050.

Look at those ratings!!!

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My amp can do 2100W into 4 ohms bridged, or 700w/channel into 4 ohms/channel. As others are saying: more than I need, to make sure the amp is always clean. If I want distortion, I will add it -- and more importantly, control it -- with my SansAmp Bass Driver tube emulator thingie.
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I don't need 50 more pounds of headroom. ;)

i'm comparing the 4050 to my Stewart 2.1 here...
  9. Weight 68 lb (30.84 kg) net, 77 lb (34.43 kg) shipping
    All Specification Subject to Change Without Notice.

I guess there comes a time when you can have too much headroom. Probably when it's time to load it into the back of the truck.