Heads, Amplifier,

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Donald Wormuth, May 7, 2021.

1. Okay, I'm looking into buying a head and cabinet. I'm a beginner and I don't have much experience with them. I've always used combos but I feel the need. To step up my game and equipment. At this time, I don't want a DI box. I want an amp and cabinet. These are the amps that I'm looking at currently.
    x Behringer Ultrabass BXL3000H Bass Amp Head.
    Behringer Ultrabass BX 4500H Bass Amp Head
    TC, Electronics BQ 500
    TC Electronics BQ250
    TC Electronics BH 250
    Then I am going to get a 2x10
    Most likely a,
    Behringer BA 2x10 500 watt
    And. Behringer Ultrabass BA 115 600-watt I'm also considering a 4x10 to combine with the 15. I don't know a lot about Class D amplifiers. Or even what that means. I want something that I'll have for a while and is going to last. The 2 Behringer's amps are used though I can get a 3000 new for 199. What are Ya'lls thoughts. I think the TC electronics are a pretty good idea. They also have an 800-watt model. Which is a little outside what I am budgeting. I've noticed on the back of some cabinets they have two 1/4-inch jacks. Some have a red on one and black ring on other. Is that a cross over. And if stacking them like the TC electronics only have 1 speaker output. So, do all cabinets have the ability to daisy-chain one too the next?

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    DJ Bebop likes this.
  2. ric4682

ric4682

Jul 2, 2008
    Hi Donald! You’re asking a lot of good questions, amps and cabs can be overwhelming when you start learning about them.

Behringer makes excellent stuff, but I personally feel the Ultrabass stuff is not great. They can work okay, but in my experience they just aren’t as reliable or loud and good sounding as other amps.

The TC Electronic BQ/BH stuff is really great for the money though! I wouldn’t be afraid to look at used stuff too. Depending on where you’re located you may be able to find some really excellent cabs for not too much money if you look around and don’t mind a heavier cab.

I have three important questions:
    -What’s your budget?
    -What kind of music are you playing?
    -And are you just jamming in the garage or playing shows?

That’ll help give us a better idea of what to suggest.

A lot of cabs, but not all, will have the ability to daisy chain so you only need to use one speaker output on the head. When you’re talking about red and black little inputs you are probably talking about banana plugs. I think they have another name as well, but those are not very common anymore.

3. Well, my current band is a Heavy Metal. We do have 2 shows coming up. At first, we didn't have a PA now we have one that's a loaner from another band. That lent us it. It's not much but compared to what we were using. We had a 4-channel little thing we used for vocals and kick. Now we got 12 channels with speakers and subs. There is nothing around here used. I went to 7 Pawnshops there was only1 Bass Head and Cabinet out of all of them which was a Genz Benz 600-watt head and a Genz Benz 4x10 cabinet $899. I,ve never heard of Genz Benz. I've been searching on line for used equipment there is really nothing in my area. I found stuff on Musician's friend and couple other sites. But with shipping and handling was outside of budget I had at the time. I ended up buying a combo to hold me over. A little back story I had a combo that blew up so i needed something quick. I had a $400 budget at time was no way i was going to be able to get a cabinet and head at that price unless it was here. So, I went with A Bugera 1x15" 700w 2-Ch Bass Amplifier to hold me over. Which will be my home amp after I get head and cab. So, the head a cab's will be for band practice and gigging. Though I want something that, if need be, I can play in any genre country jazz pop if opportunity arises. My budget: I am shooting for is around $1000 now I have the Bugera, it gives me sometime to save. Being on disability hampers what I can get and a time frame as to when. So now I am focused on getting something without rushing into it now that it's not a necessity. I just want to get my list made up. So, when I have the money boom, I got it. So, I may buy the head first so I don't spend the money elsewhere. Then Next month a cab following month another. I was thinking the 4x10 then 15 then 2x10. I may not buy the 2x10 but my thought is sometimes I'll need the 2x10 for gigs combined with the 15 for small indoor venues (bars). Then for larger venues and outdoor gigs any combinations. I like the response of 10's and love the lows a 15 gives me.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    DJ Bebop likes this.
  4. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Wait…what?? That Genz Benz setup will destroy any of the amps you listed. It’s high end professional level equipment which delivers the actual stated power and not some fake inflated number like Behringer and TC.

Ampslut, smogg, Roxbororob and 18 others like this.
  5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Why don't you spend some time learning about amps and cabinets by reading threads here on TalkBass. There's a LOT of good information and it will help prevent you from making typical rookie mistakes.

abarson, MTN.bass72, retslock and 9 others like this.
  6. The Genz Benz was at pawn shop I'm not buying it I was just saying what was there. I know it would blow up anything on my list. I didn't say anywhere in thread I was considering it. I was clarifying to ric4282 what was around here after he suggested looking local. I never said I was getting it plus I believe when I googled it to get info while i was there. It said they were out of business. It was a sweet system I played on it. I never heard of them so shied away from them. But If I can find another cab to pair with it I might consider it. I'm looking for best value for my$ and most versatility.

7. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    @mmbongo is correct. That Genz rig if in good shape is probably a pretty good deal.

I'd imagine $1000 to be a pretty healthy budget. Even if you were looking in Canada and we were talking about beaver bucks instead of freedom bucks. That's about what my Rumble 500H and 210 cab cost me brand new. There should be a whole host of options for 210s below $500 USD and probably some 410s, like the Rumble, Ashdown Roadmaster, Hartke, etc. $500 for a head should bring lots of new and used options into play. From things like a Fender Rumble or Ampeg Portaflex to the Genz you mentioned.

I don't have anything against Behringer but they're not my first recommendation. Fender, Ampeg, GK, Eden, and Hartke should all easily be in an affordable range new.

8. That's exactly what I am doing is research I have been for two weeks now hours of research watching demo/review vids. I've narrowed my list down to these choices is why I am asking. So, I don't make rookie mistakes. I almost did 2 weeks ago when my Ampeg blew up. I almost bought a head and cabinet that the cab would of fried the Amp.

9. I had a Behringer Ultra Bass 300-watt combo years ago when I first stated wanting to learn was an awesome Amp. I'm sorry that I had to get rid of it. So, me being familiar with them is why I look towards them.

BBassBassington likes this.
  10. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    So explain again why you are not considering the Genz Benz? I thought in your first post you said you were looking for an amp and cabinet?

BBassBassington and JRA like this.
  11. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    The gent (agedhorse) who responded above your post designed that gear. He also provides ongoing factory support for it. If you want pro quality, reliable, and still supported (with OEM parts) by one of the top engineers in the bass amplification business, I'd look closely at that pawn shop find.

Normally I'd say to think twice about buying something made by a company that is no longer in business. However, in this case my advice would be to think twice about passing on what is likely a great rig.

abarson, smogg, whero and 10 others like this.
  12. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

the only bugera i could find/google that met your description was this one:

BXD15A_4000x.progressive.jpg Bugera BXD15A 700W 2-Ch Bass Amp-15-Inch Speaker

it's not made to accommodate an extension speaker, apparently, so getting a cabinet first is no advantage.

as always: buying used is bound to be a better deal (in terms of cost), but having a $1000 budget gives you quite a few options for new stuff, however: if that pawn shop genz benz rig is in decent enough shape and works = best buy! getting "brand new" is so much fun, but if that genz benz rig is competent = you win! big time! and probably save some cash, too, right? just sayin'.

good luck with your rig quest! :thumbsup:

13. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    If additional funds are going to be available to you, don't waste it on Behringer. It is strictly cheap, "make do" equipment.

Genz-Benz is high quality equipment. They get a lot of love here on TB: do a search. Even though G-B got bought out, Mesa Boogie has an arrangement to honor repairs. I use a G-B Shuttle 6.2 and it does everything I could ask of it. I paid about $330 for it used quite some time back.

Depending on what model amp and 410 you are looking at, that price seems a bit high. If it's an Uber 410, it's in the ballpark, otherwise a bit high. If the amp is a Shuttle 6.2 or Streamliner 6.0, it's in the ballpark, otherwise a bit high. You can usually negotiate price with a pawnshop. Regardless what G-B models are offered, they are all better than TC Electronic, IMHO.

When you start getting into mixing cabs, I guarantee that a 115 will get totally swamped by adding a 410. And it's a myth that 10's only sound a certain way and 15's only sound one other way. I've heard 115s that had more mids than lows. My Acme B2 210 is one of the deepest sounding cabs you'll ever find, yet it doesn't lack punch. Speaker size doesn't dictate sound, unless you hear with your eyes.

RColie, nbsipics, Al Kraft and 2 others like this.
  14. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    IMO stay away from beringer. Crap gear made from unscrupulous design stealers. I don’t like their gear nor their methods. Just my opinion.

Kipp Harrington likes this.
  15. MIMike

MIMike

Jan 1, 2013
    West MI
    Well, if this thread is only about having people tell you which of the few things you’ve listed they would recommend getting, you probably won’t get much help.
    If this thread is to get suggestions on the best gear available your you money and music style, I would say you’re missing out.
    That Gene Benz rig could probably be had for much less than what they currently have it listed for, and as already stated, it will outperform anything else you have previously mentioned.
    If you have played it, and it seems to work correctly, offer them $600 for the whole rig and show them the cash.

16. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    I'm a TC Electronic fan, mainly the RH heads, and I have to say that the 3 you listed above don't hold a candle to the Genz Benz rig you mentioned. I'm not even sure which Genz Benz amp and cab you saw, but it doesn't matter, it's is still a better rig as long as everything is working.

You came here asking for advice and pretty much everyone is saying to go back and check out that Genz Benz. That is very good advice.

HolmeBass, smogg, Al Kraft and 5 others like this.
  17. It looked Brand new no blemishes at all and sounded great. Being a beginner really not familiar with them plus not really knowing what all it did I just set everything flat it was a rather large pawn shop like small warehouse size. My girl and kids were in back and said they could hear it I only turned it up to 4. Ok that's good advice they also said could work on price. If I had that much money to spend at time, I'd have probably bought it so hopefully when I get the money it will still be there. Maybe I should ask about a layaway? Didn't even think of that at time, because I was hoping to getting something at time. I needed to purchase something time was running out gig tomorrow. So, after my search turned up Empty, I then had to make a decision this week's gig is a bar not overly big. We went after we booked gig and seen band there to get a feel for the place. Bassist was not miked with a 400-watt combo and filled the place well. We didn't have a proper PA to use until Wednesday up till then we were using a small 4 channel One too lead singer 2 too backup vocals 3rd was going to kick. Now we have something we can use. I wasn't planning an extension speaker but on demo, it says it does for a powered monitor.

JRA and BBassBassington like this.
  18. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    That's a fair point. I'm still going to join the chorus of people saying go back and negotiate for the Genz. lol

If familiarity is a must than you don't need this thread to be fair. You have your answer. If you want Talkbasses advice though it's usually a good idea to listen when you're hearing the same thing over and over. Even if what that is may not work for you there's a reason so many people recommend it.

Genz Benz has a stellar reputation for a reason. I get that your Ampeg experience may make you weary of what's different but Ampeg is one of the least reliable brands out there and even then there's so many people who have run SVTs and Portaflex heads for years without a single issue. I've seen plenty of used Ampegs that are clearly old workhorses and they're still going.

You only really need to worry about ohms and watts. Don't go for too small a number of ohms for your amp (most amps run 8 or 4 fine) and don't go for too big a number of watts for your cab. As wild and confusing as it may seem at first it really does just boil down to matching 2 numbers and plugging in a cable. The rest is all subjective.

smogg and DJ Bebop like this.
  19. Genz Benz 600-watt with a GBE 4x10 600-watt cab.

20. Yeah, I was looking at The BXD 115 1000 watt. When I went to add it to my cart it said we have a demo model at 279.00 so I thought it was the 1000-watt I didn't read everything, I guess. I made the assumption that it was the 1000-watt model with same specs. I just emailed them and told them what had happened. Waiting on a reply. It will be here tomorrow so if it will do what I need I'll keep it if it doesn't it's going back. I mean totally my fault for not reading everything but Sweetwater has a return policy that if you're not happy they'll take it back no questions. Just I think that it should have stated more clearly that it wasn't the exact amp. I went and tried to search like I did and since I probably got only one it doesn't come up now. So I'm going to see what they say. I'll use it for the gig and if I'm not happy with it I'll send it back.

BBassBassington likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021