Heads and poweramps that can deliver a 2 ohm signal

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ericman197, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    I'm wondering what my options are... I may be going with 2 4 ohm cabs in the very near future, so I'd need a poweramp that can deal with a 2 ohm signal. I can't do that on my QSC without having to run on only one side. Thus far the only amp I can think of is the EA iAMP800, which I'm not opposed to. I'm just wondering if there's anything else out there. Also, it needs to put out a lot of power... preferably 1000+ watts.
  2. What model QSC do you have? Are you saying you do not wish to run a 4 ohm load on each channel of a stereo power amp. FWIW I think this would be the best option by far.
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Eden WT550 does 620 watts @ 2ohms
    Acoustic Image Clarus 1 does 300 watts @ 2 ohms

but cant go wrong with the iAMP-800. tons of EQ versatility with as much wattage. what's not to like? ;)
  4. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Well, that'd be better than running a 2 ohm load, but I'd still only be running at just over half power. It's the PLX 1202 by the way. The problem is that if I did that, I'd rather just get an iAMP or something a little lighter with more usable power.
  5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Not quite. To each cab youd be running half the total power which is what youd be doing anyways.

Thats what I do. One four ohm cab per side.
  6. chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    I know their a little low end ,not low quality, but Peavey makes a 700watts @2 ohm head,the 700MAX (formerly called "Firebass" head), durable,proven,clear true tone,good eq, it would surprise many,runs at 8,4,or 2 ohms.

They also have one a little smaller that runs 400w @2 ohms 400MAX (formerly called Nitrobass)
  7. +1
  8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    The EA Iamp80 is putting out 1,000 watts at 2ohms

9. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    I think I'm starting to side witht he iAMP. I'll have to try one out. By the way... are there any stereo poweramps that can handle a 4 ohm load on each side? I'm not really looking for one that can do 2 ohms per side; I want to get the full power out of an amp.
  10. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Yes, just about all of them can.
  11. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
  12. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Peavey Max 700 puts out 700 watts at 2 ohms. And the Ampeg B-5R puts out 500 watts at 2 ohms.
  13. RunngDog

RunngDog Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I'm really confused here by the whole bridged vs. stereo and impedence thing.

As I understand it, the PLX1202 puts out 600W at 2 ohm in stereo, so if he runs a 4 ohm cab on each channel, he'll end up with a 2 ohm load and 300W per cab. Is that correct? If it is, it doesn't seem like there would be much value in switching to a WT-550 for an extra 10W per cab.

Unless I misunderstand bridged mono mode, the impedence of the two cabs need to be added together. The PLX1202 puts out 700W at 8 ohm, so he'd gain 50W per cab using the 4 ohm cabs. But it only puts out 400W at 16 ohm, so running 2 8 ohm cabs, he'd only get 200W per cab (same as he'd get in stereo).

Am I all mixed up here?
  14. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    You're adding the impedances uh... backwards (sort of?). If you use two 8 ohm cabs, they can take a 4 ohm load. two 4 ohm cabs take a 2 ohm load.

When you use a power amp in stereo, you're pretty much using two seperate amps. Like...each channel is an amp. if he uses a 4 ohm cab on each channel, the cabs are being powered seperately, so the impedance doesnt change.

I hope that makes sense. I'm not the best at explaining things.
  15. Rich Piche

Rich Piche

Jun 29, 2004
    I would go with a Bryston 4B, and run a cab on each side. 500 watts per side (4 ohms), and they're practically indestructable. :hyper:
  16. RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks much. Now (and after rereading some other posts on bridged vs. mono) I think I finally get it.
  17. RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    . . . but I'm still confused about the original question:

1. Is there some reason that one would prefer to run a 2 ohm load rather than 4 ohms on each of 2 channels? If I understand the PLX specs, the amp puts out 325W per channel in stereo at 4 ohms.

2. If there is some advantage to running 2 ohm, is there some reason NOT to simply run both cabs through 1 channel of the PLX?
  18. I don't think you will gain anything by running both cabs together at 2 ohms into a single power source. You will be dividing the power to each cab in half. Your QSC has two power amps built in. Running one cab to each power section at 4 ohms is effectively the same thing as above.
  19. Carvin DCM2000's can run this:

2000W bridged 4 ohms
    1400W bridged 8 ohms.

Continuous RMS per CH(2):
    8 ohms 425w
    4 ohms 700w
    2 ohms 1000w

20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thats a tasty idea!