Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

heads & supply voltages

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by affro, Sep 16, 2005.

1. hi all :help:
    i am in the market for possibly buying a new (to me) head unit, and i have noticed that i can save a considerable amount if i buy from the U.S (yes i live in australia, and i have thought about taxes, shipping etc). i was just wondering if anyone can give me some suggestions of amps that have a 120/240v switch on the back, or have a wire inside that you can easily change over? that would be great .

p.s i currently have an SWR which i love so any SWR models would be awsome, however i am open to any suggestions.

cheers :D

2. I know you've mentioned this already, but just for the sake of our fellow Aussies;

People ALWAYS forget about import duty - don't be the next to get caught out! Visit customs website and do your research before you buy!!!

This community service announcement was bought to you by Nifty Keen Type Dog Pty Ltd.

3. 2 heads I have imported to Australia in the last year are the GK 1001RBII (has jumpers/wires inside to change) and an EA iAmp500 - has a switch on the back. You also have to change the fuse. Acoustic Image also has a switch.
    I know eden is another that has s simple change on the inside although I dont know if they still offer that with the new ownership.

As for SWR, only the older SWR's (around sm400 era) have a multi votage which I got a tech to change.

The EA could not have been simpler. :hyper:

4. Ozbass

Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
    Epifani has a switch on the back. UL502...great lightweight amp 600W into 4Ohms

Oz

5. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Ampeg's SVT classic has a universal transformer, it's just a matter of repatching the connections inside for 240v.

6. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    EA iAmp :bassist:

7. I am also looking down this route for getting an amp, so a few questions, what site ships internationally, i can't seem to find any! Second, are Pre-amps like the SVTCL 9volt? or are they mains? and lastly, would a $160 power converter allow me to run a US made head on our power?

8. shanmag

shanmag

Jul 27, 2005
  9. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Don't all Ampegs now have a universal transformer?

10. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Almost all, there are a couple that don't.

But there are other issues with "importing" units on the "gray market". The various countries have specific requirements for safety and noise emissions, etc, etc. It seems that there are more requirements every day. For instance, a whole new set of major changes go into effect in europe next July.

When you "import" a unit from one country into another, you cannot be sure that all your local requirements are satisfied. It may be true that all the versions of a unit meet the toughest safety standards. But it may not meet specific local interference, emissions, environmental or other requirements.

Your local authorities may require a certification of "compliance" to all regulations on any imported unit. If that is the case, you almost certainly won't have that certification.

After all, you are importing a unit made for a different mains voltage, from a country with different laws and emissions regulations, etc, etc. The line voltage switch is not the whole story.

Probably in most cases you will never be asked for any such certification. But if you are, what are you going to do?

The manufacturer hopefully HAS had the tests and certifications done, and COULD provide the certifications. But does that mean they can help you? Maybe, maybe not.

A few manufacturers don't bother with that "legal stuff". With them you are out of luck to start with.

Frankly, if a manufacturer already has a legitimate dealer and importer in your country, and they help you import a "gray market" unit, they are undercutting their main customer. They may even be violating a legal agreement.

And, many manufacturers put on a serial number code that shows what the original "configuration" was. So your import agent can tell that he didn't import your unit.

Now, of course, there are folks who move, who are on tour, etc, etc. Most conversions are perfectly legitimate, should be, and are, supported.

But the "gray market" is expanding, and is starting to look like a potential problem. The attraction of low price is there, but the sour taste of non-compliant units and possible refusal of import agents to support or repair your "gray market" product may linger.

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Good points, Jerrold.

I'll point out also that many--if not most--manufacturers' import agents bear responsibility for warranties in the country or countries under the jurisdiction of their import agreement. For assuming this burden they get a break in the price of the product, but they generally also have to pay much more for shipping, duties, compliance costs, etc.

So if you bring a grey market product in and it needs service during its warranty period, the import agent might not be willing to provide it because you would be asking him or her to assume a cost on a product that they had no part in selling.

12. shanmag

shanmag

Jul 27, 2005
    Hey Bob Lee, u probly wont know why but ill ask anyway! why are qsc power amps in Australia so expensive compared to the US?

i know, bla bla bla everything in Australia is expensive compared to the US, but these power amps are over 4x the cost of what they are in the US?

US is $299.00 for the rmx850 but in Aus, $1399

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I don't know. That's something to ask your dealer and TAG Pty Ltd.

14. shanmag

shanmag

Jul 27, 2005
    thats ok, thanx anyway

15. Bump my question :p What is the voltage of pre-amp, like the BBE and Ampeg CL? I think i remember seeing a picture of one in a box and it had a 9Volt 'wallwart' transformer.

If this is the case would it be a good idea to just order a pre-amp from the US while buying a cheap 2nd hand poweramp, i worked this out at around $1000 for a 600watt @ 4Ohm per side stereo Ampeg CL (the only ampeg pre i have liked)

16. They run on 110V, however, because they have a very low power consumption (BMax BBE SS = 8 Watts) you can use a relatively small (in volume, weight & price) step-down transformer to run them.

So yes, your idea about getting a 240V power amp and importing a pre is a pretty good one. I managed to assemble a 1300W pre-power system, using a new imported BBE BMax and a second-hand power amp brought locally for around NZ$800 all up [er.. AU$730... US$560].. which is a pretty amazing price (considering I was able sell the SWR 350x which this system replaced for NZ$1000 [um... AU$910, US$700]).

17. So, whats importing a pre-amp like? I have never done anything like this before, I think an email to music123 or someone similar is in order :D

Do you have any sounds clips of the BBE Jemetch? I have never seen one before so I have no idea on tone.

Thanks.

18. The easy part first: there are sounds clips for the BBE at basstasters.com (along with a collection of other preamps).

As for importing, there have been a few threads discussing it (if you do a bit of a search). Basically, you have to find a trusted seller, do some research on shipping companies & methods and research the duties & taxes you may be stung with when the package arrives at Auzzie customs...

19. Dealer, Shipping then Customs got it, thanks. I completely forgot about basstasters, thanks again :D

20. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I import a lot of gear into Oz and have posted about it extensively in the past. Do a seach on my moniker.