Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

heads that support 2 ohms

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matt H, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    Hey guys! I'm still new around here (lurking for about five days, this is my third post). I've done a forum search, but it wasn't getting me anywhere fast.

Here's my question: does anyone have a list? (or would you mind chiming in) on amps that will handle 2 ohm loads? I realize i could visit all of of the manufacturers and look through each of their models, but that seems fairly unproductive.

I'm looking to get a bass head in the next year or so (currently have a little practice/combo that's doing just fine for right now). I'm new to bass, but have about 8 years under my belt as a guitarist.

I'm sad that the GK stuff doesn't seem to support 2 ohm operation, so I want to see what my other options are.

Thanks a ton for any and all information you throw my way!!!

2. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Number one head that comes to mind is EAs Iamp 800 watt head, gets 1000 at 2 ohms. and i think the Kustom Groovebass head goes down to 2 ohms as well.

Euphonic Audio Kustom Amps

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

4. the Peavey Firebass, Nitrobass and Deltabass ( Max 700, 450 and 160 ) handle 2 ohm loads, as do ampeg SVT's

5. Yamaha bbt 500h 250 watts 4 ohms, 500 watts 2 ohms

6. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    How about the Mesa Big Block 750 at 2 ohms? Can I run one of these turned up all the way, into a 2 ohm load for 10 hours straight? What's the story on this unit? :eyebrow:

7. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Carvin B1500 @ 2oHms is 1900 watts.

8. Why 2ohms? If you need to run an amp at 2ohms to get enough power out of it you really need a bigger amp.

9. not if its a valve/tube amp, they put out the same wattage regardless, you just need to use the correct tap

maybe he has two 4 ohm cabs kicking about ?

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Mesa 400 +, Mesa Big Block, Eden WT1205, Eden WT550, Eden WT 405.

11. Aguilar DB750
    Carvin B500

12. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Cleveland
    The EBS HD-350 will do 2 ohms with no sweat. Funny thing is it doesn't increase the (RMS) wattage, just the peak power!

Highly recommended head! Best thing I've come across (so far!) :)

13. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Hartke 5000. Bi amped at 4ohms per side.

14. My new to me Tubeworks RT3300 :) Most Peaveys, and correct me if I'm wrong but a Swr sm400s/500 if run in stereo.

15. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Sunn/Fender 1200s

16. bpocall

bpocall

Jun 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Genz Benz GBE 600/1200

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Eden WT-550, Aguilar DB 750

18. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    hey guys! thanks for the responses (and link through the sticky/faq thing - i definitely never would've noticed that, as when i read through the faq, i hadn't thought about 2ohm stuff...)

the answers (both in this thread, and the linked one) give me a lot to think about for options.

Anyway, the reason i'm looking for 2 ohms is not actually for "more power out", but as another poster indicated, because of 4 ohm cabinets. (i have one on the way, thanks to paintandsk8).

I'm ACTIVELY against running two external cabinets in series though... this is a holdover from my guitar/tubeamp design stuff. I realize that solid state amps will not fry themselves if the load goes open but parallel is safer for so many reasons. I know- less of an issue for solid state, but still - being consistent and anal retentive about this stuff never hurt.

There was one thing I wanted to comment on- there's nothing that says a tube amp can't run a 2 ohm load... it's possible no current production models are rated for 2 ohm operation though. For reference, a fender super reverb (and the original 5f6 tweed bassman) ran 2 ohm loads (4 8 ohm 10" speakers in parallel). I'm not sure if I_got_a_mohawk meant "no tube amp can run 2" or what I've hypothesised (no commercial amp available at the moment)- i just want to make sure no one else takes that comment as dogma and believes it for the rest of their thumping and slapping lives :)

and with enough time and weight, a tube amp could easily run 2/4/8/16 ohm loads with the right output transformer. (many guitar amps have multitapped secondaries on the OT).

Part of me is considering building a tube pre- but i'm really tempted by the lightweight one piece solid state heads that are available (and actually sound good! if only this happened with guitars!)

Thanks again everyone- this has been extremely helpful and given me a lot of things to start looking at.

19. As for tube amps that run at 2 ohms the original SVTs were designed to run two 8 ohm cabinets and I'm pretty sure the newer SVT CLs also will.Someone already mentioned the SVT and that's probably why.

20. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

There are other issues with series operation too, especially if the cabs are dissimilar: series inductances are additive and you can lose high frequency response and add boominess in unpredictable ways. In guitar amps, this sometimes makes for really nice sound (see the Fender Prosonic, for example, where it fattens up the 2-10 configuration quite a bit). Honestly, I've never tried it in a bass rig, so I'll defer comment to those who have. For starters, here's a little discussion on the implications though, scroll down the page a bit: http://www.uneeda-audio.com/amps.htm

Part of me is considering building a tube pre- but i'm really tempted by the lightweight one piece solid state heads that are available (and actually sound good! if only this happened with guitars!)

So do both! :cool: There have been some TB threads on DIY tube preamps, and I always have a few homebrewed ones kicking around. I'm too lazy to haul a rack rig to gigs very often these days though, for the reasons you're just mentioned.

Thanks again everyone- this has been extremely helpful and given me a lot of things to start looking at.

You're welcome, and welcome to Talkbass.