1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

heads under $500.00

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Indiana Mike, Aug 30, 2008.

1. GK 400 RBIV

64 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Ashdown mag 600

43 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. Nemesis RS 400

20 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. Peavey tour 450

20 vote(s)
    8.9%
  5. Marshall MBH 450

9 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. lost in a sea of amps

68 vote(s)
    30.4%
  1. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    Bang for the buck is what I am looking for with reliability . I have compiled a list . Some of these I can try , most I cannot.

I like solid state , quick response , tight sounding tone.

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Well, I can't say reliability will be great for these but RMC will be selling the GK MB2-500 for 499 shipped. 500 watts, under 4lbs and a warranty.

3. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    I just requested a qoute and ship date . RMC is really great about getting back to you , pre-sale anyway. I had a GK 700 RBIII and I must say I dig solid state over tube or tube pre. At least the 700 RB as it I noticed it had very fast response , was tight and had the tone I wanted . I just don't need the BI amping .

Dammit , I may just buy another 700 RBII ot the MB-2 if it isn't on the mega wait list.

4. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV

I got a 14-15 day ship date out of them today.

I wouldn't call Peavey or Ashdown "tight" response.

5. I'm a Peavey fan, myself. Like fenderhutz says, they are not always the tightest, but if you are playing loud venues, like a rock club, they have the power to get you heard, at least by the rest of the band. If you are in a quieter venue, like a jazz club, I think GK is good.

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Don't overlook the Backline 600 head. You can read a geeky review at my little web page. And BL600's are becoming widely available on the second hand market.

But something to note is that there are lightweight heads (Micro300 and Shuttle 3.0) that are surprisingly close to your budget. I got a Micro300, after just a couple years of using my BL600 head, though the BL600 had no problems whatsoever. I simply decided that I could afford to pamper myself with the convenience of lightweight gear.

7. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    +1. Based on your description, the GK or the Eden will work quite well.

8. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    Not on your list and they are discontinued but readily available.

Genz Benz NeoPak 3.5

Got mine in excellent condition for $430.00. I have (2) ohm cabs and pumping 500 watts into them. I replaced my LMII with this and much happier. I have learned that all this gear is personal taste....amps, cabs, strings, pickups etc!!!! Try as many as you can with your own bass. It is the only way to tell.

9. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    You don't have to Bi-amp the GK. It will run full range just fine.

10. Aahzz

Aahzz

Aug 28, 2008
    I gotta say, as a guitarist who's just delving into bass, I'm really impressed with the Backline 600....just snagged one today for $250 at the GC labor day sale, and am loving it....

11. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I would only advise getting a vintage head if there is something about vintage tone that you are in love with. And it's debatable whether the older GK's had unique tone compared to what GK is making today. The old 400RB was a fine product, but bidding will drive that price into the mid $200's, whereupon you are comparing it with a new GK head that has a toroidal tranny, more power, probably quieter electronics, and a warranty.

12. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I got my Markbass LittleMark II used for $400. 500 watts RMS, solid state, definitive Markbass tone, and 6.5 pounds to boot.

13. Winemule

Winemule Guest

Feb 27, 2005
    Find an old MusicMan HD.

14. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    No carrots?