1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Heads up for my fellow Jack Bruce Fans

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by pedro, May 6, 2010.

1. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I’ve been a fan since 1966 and just wanted to let any fellow fans know that his new biography ‘Jack Bruce: Composing Himself’ is a terrific read. Highly recommended.

2. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    That is good to hear, I have that book in my Amazon wish list but was sort of waiting to hear something about it.

3. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Well written. Lots of details that I never knew about Jack. A real peek into a very talented and restless artist.

4. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I'm really looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the heads up!
    (I'm such a Jack Bruce fan that the other day I even called up the Google satellite shot of Harmony Row in Glasgow, just to look at the street.) :oops:

5. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Wow I never thought to do that. Nifty.

Anyhoo, you'll love the book. I was turned on to it by my keys player who is a composer of classical music. We couldn't think of anybody from the rock world that brought the same skills to the table. A multi-instrumentalist/vocalist/composer who could not only do the rock thing but also play with the likes of Tony Williams. Someone who could 'sight-sing' a jazz opera. I honestly can't think of anyone else that could cover that much ground so well.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Thanks, Pedro...I am definietly a fan of that early era of Rock. Hopefully, there's some pre-Cream stuff in the book.

BTW, I jst recently picked up Bruce's acoustic Jazz album w/ McLaughlin from the '60s...whoa, crazy stuff from Bruce that I totally missed out on until last month.

7. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    There's plenty of stuff before and after Cream. I think that Cream really only takes up 1-2 chapters. Starts w/ Jack as a kid, thru his move to Canada, back to Scotland, etc. Everything from Manfred Man to Tony Williams. Don't miss it.

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I have the book but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet, I'm looking forward to it though. Ginger Baker just released his book too.

9. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Yea I heard Baker came out with his. Would be interesting to read it and compare their respective views of each other.

10. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    Going to the bookstore today! Thanks for the heads up. My first bass was (and is, I still have it) a cherry red Gibson EB3. After seeing Jack and Cream on TV in 1966, it remains my idea of what a true rock bass is.

11. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Thanks man. I've been a fan since back then too.

I was lucky enough to meet Jack once at a show where he was opening for the band a buddy of mine was tech'ing for in the early 80s, and he was really unassuming and down to earth. In fact, I just about keeled over when he approached me and I realized who he was -- I had just waltzed into the venue looking for my friend during setup and had no idea that there even was an opening band.

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I'll get Ginger's book after I read Jack's, I been saving the Bruce book for a flight next week because it's a soft cover.;)

13. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I'm totally envious. I've seen him play 3 times (November 1968 GoodBye Tour, Ringo All Stars and Cream reunion MSG) but have never met him in person. Some years back I did get to ask him a couple of questions on a online interview he did.

Anyway, read the book I think you'll love it.

14. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I read it last week when we were on vacation in Boston. Couldn't put it down.

15. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    'bro- Thanks for the alerts!

John

16. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    Thanks Pedro, that book is a must-have for me. I have been a huge fan since I was a kid, even flew from Iowa to NYC to see the Cream reunion.

17. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I went too.

18. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Me too.
    I also saw him with Ringo in 2000, with his "How's Tricks?" band around 1976 or so (he was playing a Fender Telecaster Bass!), and with the Cobham/Clemson/Sancious lineup a couple of years after that.

I was just thinking... imagine if he and Ginger were on simultaneous book-signing tours and found themselves scheduled for the same day at some Barnes & Noble or Borders. Mayhem would ensue! ;)

19. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    HAHHAHHAHAHAH!!!

20. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    +100
    He's absolutely unique.
    How many other people:
    1) are godfathers of "heavy rock" (the "Sunshine of Your Love" riff; West, Bruce and Laing, etc.)
    AND
    2) subbed for Percy Heath in the Modern Jazz Quartet
    AND
    3) could probably be a professor of composition at Juilliard
    AND
    4) sang a duet with Linda Ronstadt on Carla Bley's "Escalator Over the Hill"
    I mean, it's just ridiculous...