Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Heads up, Heavy Duty!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    White Steinberger XL-2 with TransTrem on ebay!

Hmmm.... not sure if I'm going to bid on this or not, since I'm not into white basses, and definitly not into the paddles body shape. I'd just end up taking the bridge off and putting it into an XM anyway. So I figured I'd send a public service announcement to Heavy and any other Steinberger nuts out there.

Pats on the back duly appreciated.

2. Man, those steinbergers are an acquired taste. And I am no where near that point.

But at the skinny puppy concert a few weeks ago, the guy was playing a steinberger doubleneck- bass on top guitar on bottom. It had the regular body. black.

I couldn't hear the bass intonation because the mix was letting it get completely drowned out. But awesome show.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Luckily it's 1) an XL and 2) white - that tempers my ardor significantly!

I wonder what it'll go for - I'm sure it won't be cheap...

4. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Considering that the value of the Transtrem is about $750-$1000, and that white XLs are pretty rare as well, I'm expecting it to be quite high. I'm going to keep an eye on it, just in case everybody hates the white like we do. Perhaps I could scoop it up just for the trem. :bassist:

5. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Yow! It's over $1000, and still has a week to go! Ick! These Steinberger collectors out there are nuts.

6. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    And reserve still hasn't been met. These things aren't my cup of tea, but some people will sure pay a lot on em :p

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    they are my cup of tea but i cant afford a real one..had a hohner for a while, was nice..sold it cause i wanted my godin.. yea. maybe eventually ill get a real steinie.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Y'know, for $1000, couldn't you have someone mill you a completely new Transtrem? Someone had to manufacture them, and a good machine shop would probably be able to duplicate one. I know the transtrem isn't the only reason someone is buying the bass, but still... if they're so rare, why not get a copy of one made?

9. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Reserve isn't even met?! Looks like this guy is asking too much, but hey, if people are willing to pay that much for a icky looking bass... I'll stick with the XMs, thanks.

I'm sure you could get a Transtrem milled out for less than $1000, easy. Trick would be finding somebody who would be willing to make such a complicated beast for you.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Then I'm not seeing a problem, here.