Headstock clean break

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by WarriorJoe7, Jul 7, 2008.

1. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Inactive

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    How much should this cost to get fixed. Could I do it myself? How?

It is a fairly clean break but if you look closely you can see that one triangle broke off and is still in the slot.

Anyone know anyone reputable in Syracuse, NY to take this to?

Joe

DSCN3570.gif

DSCN3569.gif

2. Georynn

Georynn

Dec 4, 2007
    Memphis,Tn
    Hey, that tuner looks too small to be a bass?
    Is that a Guitar? :eek:

I haven't seen too many joints like that on a guitar... what is that thing?

3. I've never seen a neck joint like that- does not look terribly strong to me. :confused:

4. asad137

asad137

Jan 18, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Physicist
    Looks like it's used to give more surface area for glue.

Asad

5. It doesn't appear to have worked real well- properly glued joints being stronger than the surrounding wood, this piece should have broken past the joint.. right? :meh:

6. That is a GoodTime Banjo. Use Weldwood Glue and apply it evenly on all mating surfaces. Before you apply glue and insert the two peices, you need to plan to prop the neck and headstock so there is some pressure pushing the two peices together. Standing the neck on end against a wall and something of weight (5 lbs will do) on the head to seat it and let it dry for 24 hours. If you use a moist cloth to wipe the excess glue when glued up your're done. Otherwise lightly scrap and sand the joint smooth.

It is an easy fix.

7. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Alot of taylor acoustics use that sort of headstock joint...we've had several baby taylors at the store I work at snap with a light fall on the headstock....I like scarf joints better.

Greg

8. FLWing

FLWing

Nov 16, 2005
    Central Florida
    Common in woodworking because of the much larger surface area which is glued. Each of the 'fingers' dissipates the
    force placed against the joined section.

It should not have broken there unless the force which caused the break was applied there....get the point? (I bet
    it was struck or fell and hit there)

9. FLWing

FLWing

Nov 16, 2005
    Central Florida
    Look closely at the photo - it appears that there is no glue on the bottom 'fingers' - if so, no wonder it broke...that is the area with most force pulling it apart.

10. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Inactive

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    yes it is a banjo... sorry but thanks for the answers...

11. Hey, I hope you get that squared away soon Joe.... Taz looks like he had an effective method to remate those seperated pieces. You should probably post back to this thread when the repair is done and banjo usable again.. I know it will turn out well for you.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 27, 2021