1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

headstock crack arghh!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Da Funk Docta, Apr 2, 2006.

1. I have a MIM 5 str jazz bass, and i was tuneing up my B string, and i guess the tension from the string cracked the part underneath it of the headstock. sucks, cuz i really liked the feel of my finger board and everything, and the bass sounds really good with all the mods i put on it. is there any way to just kind of... fix the headstock crack? the crack has not reached the front of the headstock yet, you can only see it from behind. also, are there replacement necks that will fit a 5 str MIM jazz? thanks for any input

theres a guy who had a similar problem who posted befor me with pictures and everything. a fender jazz also. my crack isn't quite as bad, but i would consider buying a new neck as an option.

my bass looks about like this from the side, except the crack is not so deep. also my crack dosnt go up to the E string. it only goes down
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237759

2. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Disclaimer: I am not an expert, I am not a luthier...

I can only offer you a bit of wisdom passed on to me by Michael Tobias regarding crack repairs.

He told me to get some good cyanoacrylate adhesive (Krazy Glue, Super Glue, etc.)...NOT the gel kind...the watery kind.

Put it in the freezer...yes, the freezer...it supposedly won't freeze, but will become even more runny, and less likely to set up fast.

You then wick it into the crack. Let capillary action do the work...and then clamp it, and allow it to dry.

Haven't tried it, only passing on the tip.

Hope it helps.

P.S. Remove the hardware first!

3. thanks very much, ill try that

4. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

DFD, I don't have any pics of my repair on my Fender RBV. The crack on my RBV went from the edge of the headstock (close to the nut) to the "B" string tuner hole.....right thru where the retainer screw sits; this crack stopped just below the paint on the top side. It did have some headstock trauma, with bent tuners. After straightening out the tuners I used a larger wood screw to open up the crack a hair more, and wicked in some Super Glue; and then clamped it shut. I then took a trip to the local hardware store and found some 5/8" brass tubing. I cut off a 3rd of the tubing and epoxied it over the crack on the inside of the tuner hole. The tuner fit nicely witout shifting it closer to the end of the headstock; I was able to use the orig screw hole. Works like a champ!:hyper: Lot cheaper than having a neck made.