Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Headstock crack repair advice needed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tonynoriega, Dec 24, 2004.

1. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I was just given an 80's Fender USA Bullet Bass that has a crack in the headstock, starting from where the stringtree hole is, and going north through the G string tuner and out of the top.

I want to repair it myself due to the low value of the guitar, and would appreciate advice from anyone that has done this type of repair. My guess is that I would use a syringe to inject some sort of glue into the crack and then clamp it, but it's only a guess.

Thanks!!

Tony Noriega in Tampa

2. This may belong in the Setup / Luthier's forum?

3. Rene

Rene

Mar 8, 2004
    Canada
    You are 100% right! Inject stricktly carpenter white or yellow glue, clamp it but not too tight, let it dry for 24 hours,
    light sanding it with 400 dry sanding paper,then 1500 wet sanding paper, buff it with car wax and it's done just like new
    There are different sizes of needle at the pharmacy
    The glue will go through, never use epoxy glue for crack because it is not a wood glue and it will come loose or apart after a while
    Good luck
    René
    20 years experience luthier

4. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    quick note, do NOT use exterior type glues ( gorilla glue, titebond type TWO) or similar things..

Titebond type ONE
    LMI All wood epoxy
    LMI wood glue

i would suggest those.

5. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Thanks for the input. What do you use to inject the glue? Is it thin enough to go through a regular hypodermic needle (and where are those available?), or are special needles sold for this type of use?

Thanks!

Tony