Headstock crack repair

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by 59jazz, Jan 9, 2005.

1. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I purchased a used 5 string, dirt cheap. there is a crack coming from the screw at the B string tuner. Upon removing the tuner I found (in the tuner hole) the crack going thru 70% of the hs, from back to front. I would like to reinforce the tuner hole with a machined piece of aluminum or steel, basically a sleeve. the hole is .638 and the Hipshot ferrule is .618, so I have .018 to play with. What type of glue or epoxy should I use? Also, (stupid question) what is CA glue?

Thanks in advance, Steve
  2. andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Cyanoacrylate, or CA, glue is better known as super glue.

As for the headstock, I don't think there's much you can do. If 70% of the headstock is cracked, then you're probably going to have to replace it. Depending on the neck type, though, that might not be possible.
  3. Done right, that CA might be all you need for this repair. Some of the water thin versions will wick into cracks quite nicely for repairs like this. I did a headstock repair where the headstock had been struck on the face and forced backwards. The result was it split the neck at the radius going up to the nut and it seperated the fretboard above that. I was able to jig it up to hold the cracks open just enough to achieve full penetration with the CA on both sides - without glueing the trussrod solid! - and then used a combination of clamps and gravity to hold the repair together. Worked like gangbusters.
  4. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Thanks guys! I wasn't clear on the crack....the crack is 3/4" long and 1/2" deep. The hs is a Fender 5'r, and the crack goes from the inside of the B string tuner to the edge of the hs closest to the f-board, and stops 1/8" from the face of the hs. I'll try the CA glue. Thanks for the speedy reply!