1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Headstock Crack- Worth Fixing? (and some other questions)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by velvetkevorkian, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Well, my friend has offered me this MIM Fender Jazz 5 string for a really good price. There is, however, one issue with it: a crack in the headstock.
    From the side
    headstocksidethumb.

From the back
    headstockcrackback.

As you can see, it has so far not penetrated to the front
    headstockfrontthumb.

I've taken it to two different guitar shops: one told me they would have to cut the cracked part off, cut a new slot and carve a new bit of headstock to attach. Cost- £120. He also said NOT to just have it glued and clamped, as this would just come apart again. Funnily enough, this was exactly what the second shop advised me to do (for £50). Soooooooo should I bother? which should I go with? Is there another way?

Also, can anyone tell me if this is a stock Fender bridge?
    bridgethumb.
    Its had new Gotoh tuners fitted, but there's no name on the bridge.
    Thanks in advance y'all
    Kyle

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The expensive method involves a lot more work and is the best way to fix it so it's permanent. However, if it's a clean break and you can inject the proper glue into the crack, that'll work also. I've done it a number of times. I wouldn't use ordinary white glue as it tends to creep at times when under tension. I wouldn't use epoxy either because there are no gaps to fill. I use a 2 part urea formaldehyde marine glue that never seems to fail under the most severe use.

All the hardware needs to be removed, the crack forced open slightly, glue injected and the head clamped firmly for at least 24 hours.

It looks like it split in the spot the screws for the tuning pegs were installed. Probably not a large enough pilot hole. Or possibly the new tuners were too tight a fit and were forced in. This should be looked at before reinstalling the hardware.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005

4. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Funny, the headstock "crack" that Jay posted is the same kind as what a friend of mine did to his SX. The bass is now in my basement for parts/experiments.

I know this might seem tooo simple, but i think the glue and clamp method would work great. Wait and see what others here recommend, but i thought some titebond would fix it.

Take it easy.

5. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    I suppose it all depends on the "really good" price you were offered. If your friend wants half the price of a new one, I would pass on it. But if it's more like 25% the price of a new one, I would give it a try. If fixing the headstock doesn't work out, you can always buy a replacement neck for it and still not have too much invested in it.

6. Is that pickup finished in blue or is that just some weird effect from your flash?

Depending on how good the deal is, you could always buy the bass and get a solid Jazz replacement neck for it. :)

7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

8. The price was closer to 25% than 50%. I bought it for £120. I am considering a new neck, as I think the truss rod allan key slot is a bit stripped, so I can't get the action as low as I would like. i will get someone who knows what they're talking about to have a look at it;)

9. It is blue, the previous owner sprayed the (white) PG and the (black) knobs and bridge pickup cover in metallic blue. PG works, the black bits less so:meh: Still, easily fixable:)

10. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I think getting a replacement neck would be a good idea.

but im sure the glue+clamping method will work fine.

11. I've got almost the same crack in the same part of the headstock. I've had it there for years but that particular bass I don't really bring it out of the house. The bass never goes out of tune through the four seasons. I guess I'll have to eventually get it fixed.

12. Yeah, it doesn't have any direct effect just now. I'm realy just worried about it spreading, and losing part of the headstock (which would no doubt happen at the owrst possible time, in accordance with Murphy's law;)). Better safe than sorry I guess:)

13. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Fix the crack yourself and replace the truss rod nut. You'll only be out a few bucks and if it doesn't work, then get a replacement neck.

14. Surprised nobody has mentioned duct tape?

Just make a few passes around the headstock with the roll..hey it'll keep your tuners from moving too!

15. Dang! I knew there was something obvious I was mssing...

16. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    +1

If you've already gotten the bass, this is a great inexpensive way to attempt to fix it up. You shouldn't have any problem with the glueing method, I've done it on 2 basses with no complaints (titebond rocks).

As for the Parker Fly repair, I started looking at it thinking, there's no way that'll EVER look good again if anyone even managed to TRY and fix it... All I can say now is WOW that's VERY impressive, and quite possibly the nicest repair I've seen!

17. I have absolutely no clue how to replace the truss rod nut. Anyone got any tips?