Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Headstock Decals

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eilif, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I have some questions about headstock decals

How do you remove them?

Are they applied on the wood or over the finish?

Are they a certain type of decal, or are they the same as model decals?

I ask this b/c I was thinking of getting a project bass, and putting my own decal (or 2) on it. I have a whole bunch of decals from models when I was younger, and In leiu of a brand name, I would like to put some kind of symbol on the headstock.

2. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    i believe they're water decals like the ones on model racecars. i think they apply them between coats on the finish, not directly to the wood. some basses, like my sadowsky, don't use a decal per se, the logo is sorta "embossed" with black ink into the wood ... kinda like silkscreening. either way, you'd probably want to lacquer over the decal to protect it.

hope that helps (i'm not really an expert -- more of an observation and an opinion).

3. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    there's a guy on talkbass named nino-brown who did what you're talking about I believe. He put a decal from a model of the starship enterprise onto a bass he was making, if i'm not wrong... If you can get in contact with him, i'm sure he'd tell you all about how it works etc.

4. Do a search in the Guitar section of ebay for "decal" and you will find a seller - Magic Dragon - that sells a complete headstock decaling package. It comes with the special paper and spray coating to make great decals through your inkjet printer. I think the going rate is about $15

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Yes, You're correct. On this bass I didn't apply any finish. I just applied the decals onto the wood. I'm not sure how long the decal will stay there but I like it for now. ;) <a href="http://community-2.webtv.net/hotmail.com/theoremnews/war5/">CLICK HERE</a> to see the bass.

kcdbass is pretty much on the money. For water transfer decals you'd want to apply the decal in between coats of finish. When applting the decal, make sure your hands are clean because the oils on your hands can cause the decal to bubble when you apply the next coat of paint. You should have a small paintbrush. When you slide the decal on the neck, you need it to flaten out the decal & get all the excess water & air pockets out from underneath the decal. Also, you might want to lightly pat down the decal w/a paper towel to get rid of any excess water.

Warmoth uses a new decak, it is a clear sticker. It seems like this is what Jeff's link is leading to. I spoke to Warmoth about finishing over this decal & they said it wouldn't work. :(