1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

headstock design contest !

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by AllodoX, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Ok.. here's the deal..

I'm starting my own luthier-thingy this summer.
    The first bass i will make, will be a bolt-on 4-string jazzbass with a swamp-ash body and active electronics. 20mm stringspacing.

for the neck i've chosen to use maple, with a rosewood fretboard. since it will have a 38mm wide bone nut and 21 frets.

the second bass i'll make is for a friend of mine...an unlined fretless 4-string jazzbass with ebony fretboard and 44mm brass nut.

cool ! But hey.. what about that contest ? yes.. i'll tell you ! I'm looking for an alternative on the standard jazzbass headstock. the standard headstock is nice, but i'm looking for something different... so.. included is a small picture of a standard j-bass headstock.. and the contest for you guys is to modify it to the shape you think would be cool to see on the AllodoX-jazzbass :D

what is there to win ? well.. tons of respect from AllodoX-basses inc. :D and i'll give you full credits for the headstock on the manuals that i'll ship with the basses and on the website.

good luck ! :D

2. an example would be like this one.. the sadowsky-lookalike :)

3. Here is the first, kinda plain, more rounded.

Have you considered a 2+2 or 3+1 style?

[​IMG]

4. hmm.. 3 + 1 could be nice..

5. here is another, I call it "The Claw"

[​IMG]

6. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    well i just been thinkin that if you were to just turn the standard jazz headstock upside down that would add a spin to it, just my thoughts.
    later
    Lukas
    PS. the claw is cool but that little hook has a good chance of breakin off.

7. I dunno, I carved my headstock like The Claw for my fretless, and it's thick enough not to break, unless you really hit something hard. I didn't like how it looked compared to the soft mellow tones of a fretless. I carved it down and now it looks like the first one I posted.

for a metal bass, The Claw would be pretty cool.

I just realised, my first suggestion looks a lot like the headstock for the Telecaster.

8. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    exactly, for example you wouldnt see a Fender jazz with a Spector headstock. definatly it would look better on a metal bass. Allodox, might the winner get a free bass :)
    later
    Lukas

9. Ok, I apologize in advance for this one. It's 4 in the morning, and I have a sick sence of humor. :D :p

10. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    i knew exactly what that last post was gonna be about before i saw the pic.
    later
    Lukas

11. " Allo-bass.. the bass with balls " :D

12. Here is mine. I think you will like it. i am sure the design could be perfected by you.

Mike

13. cuz youve inspired the artist in me......

14. sure dude :) send in those designs :D

the more designs i get, the better :)