Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

headstock design contest !

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by AllodoX, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Ok.. here's the deal..

I'm starting my own luthier-thingy this summer.
    The first bass i will make, will be a bolt-on 4-string jazzbass with a swamp-ash body and active electronics. 20mm stringspacing.

for the neck i've chosen to use maple, with a rosewood fretboard. since it will have a 38mm wide bone nut and 21 frets.

the second bass i'll make is for a friend of mine...an unlined fretless 4-string jazzbass with ebony fretboard and 44mm brass nut.

cool ! But hey.. what about that contest ? yes.. i'll tell you ! I'm looking for an alternative on the standard jazzbass headstock. the standard headstock is nice, but i'm looking for something different... so.. included is a small picture of a standard j-bass headstock.. and the contest for you guys is to modify it to the shape you think would be cool to see on the AllodoX-jazzbass :D

what is there to win ? well.. tons of respect from AllodoX-basses inc. :D and i'll give you full credits for the headstock on the manuals that i'll ship with the basses and on the website.

good luck ! :D

2. an example would be like this one.. the sadowsky-lookalike :)

3. Here is the first, kinda plain, more rounded.

Have you considered a 2+2 or 3+1 style?

[​IMG]

4. hmm.. 3 + 1 could be nice..

5. here is another, I call it "The Claw"

[​IMG]

6. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    well i just been thinkin that if you were to just turn the standard jazz headstock upside down that would add a spin to it, just my thoughts.
    later
    Lukas
    PS. the claw is cool but that little hook has a good chance of breakin off.

7. I dunno, I carved my headstock like The Claw for my fretless, and it's thick enough not to break, unless you really hit something hard. I didn't like how it looked compared to the soft mellow tones of a fretless. I carved it down and now it looks like the first one I posted.

for a metal bass, The Claw would be pretty cool.

I just realised, my first suggestion looks a lot like the headstock for the Telecaster.

8. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    exactly, for example you wouldnt see a Fender jazz with a Spector headstock. definatly it would look better on a metal bass. Allodox, might the winner get a free bass :)
    later
    Lukas

9. Ok, I apologize in advance for this one. It's 4 in the morning, and I have a sick sence of humor. :D :p

10. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    i knew exactly what that last post was gonna be about before i saw the pic.
    later
    Lukas

11. " Allo-bass.. the bass with balls " :D

12. Here is mine. I think you will like it. i am sure the design could be perfected by you.

Mike

13. cuz youve inspired the artist in me......

14. sure dude :) send in those designs :D

the more designs i get, the better :)