1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Headstock design needed...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by F-Clef-Jef, Mar 26, 2013.

1. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

Nov 13, 2006
    Neenah, WI
    ...where ther is no headstock! I am messing about with my Franken-berger, and tonight I decided I wanted it to be a short scale bass. So I dug out my Ned Steinberger design capo, modified it a little bit and viola!, 30.sumthing" scale bass. But I think the headstock end of this thing needs a little dressing up...

So, all the amazingly creative minds here must have some suggestions as to what I could do to:
    a) camoflage the capo a little bit
    b) make the headstock end of the bass a litle less, umm... missing.

I'd like it to be something that I can just either strap on or easily attach/un-attach. I don't want to mess with the neck, being graphite and nearly 40 years old. (the neck that is, not me. I'm older, ...and carbon based)

STEINBERGER%252002. STEINBERGER%252001.

2. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    Hand puppet. Some sort of gargoylish one, perhaps.

3. SallyGrowler

SallyGrowler

May 17, 2010
    Headstock should be a reverse scaled down version of the body.

4. ArtGuy9516

ArtGuy9516

Apr 10, 2012
    Richmond, VA
    IMHO find some part of the body shape or design specific hardware to mirror for the headstock shape. You could also free form a design and tape it to the neck of the bass you're moding to see what it will look like and if it pleases you

5. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    The thing you could put there I am thinking about is not work-safe, kids-safe or even Talkbass-safe ... :D

6. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    How about just hanging a broken off fender type headstock on the end. You know just dangling there by some fake strings to make it look like you're playing a broken bass. You too can amaze your friends and relatives. :D

7. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Here ya go:

l.

8. younggun

younggun

Jul 19, 2008
    San Antonio
    LMFAO!!
    Poor OP: he thought he was going to get real suggestions.